Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

New Traditions

I like my holiday traditions. I like them a lot. To the point of digging in and not letting go. But very occasionally, something new will come about that I am willing to incorporate into the holidays, changing things up just a bit, even while they become a tradition that I dig into and won't let go of. While it is hard to tell after only one year, I believe we have two new such traditions.

First, high tea has been a thing for me for years. My mom and I go whenever I live in a city big enough to have a grand hotel that serves afternoon tea. Turns out, Lithus came to the family loving high tea himself. So, back in October, I made us reservations for tea at the Windsor Hotel for Christmas Eve. Now, we've established the fact that I love high tea. I've never made reservations in time for Holiday Tea. Oh my...If high tea is wonderful, Holiday high tea is even moreso. The decorations. The harpist playing carols. The seasonal treats. Christmas Eve tea...it's now a thing.

Second, as I mentioned yesterday, the 26th is Boxing Day. Not a big deal here in the States, but for my British/Canadian partner in crime, he grew up with it being a pretty big thing. I've written before that I donate toothbrushes and toothpaste. This year, Lithus asked if we might go pick up some blankets and add them to the donation for Boxing Day. We looked at the organization we wanted to help and discovered they were requesting (among other things) underwear and socks, more than blankets. So be it. It's not about the blankets, it's about the helping. We took a gift card to the store and bought men's underwear, women's underwear, and socks. Loaded them up, along with the toothbrushes and toothpaste, and voila, delivered them to Covenant House. Now, the donation thing isn't new to me. The addition of underwear and socks, and making it an official, deliberate part of Boxing Day is new. And now...it's a thing.

What new traditions might be brewing at your house this season?

















Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

2 comments:

Grandma Carol said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37268156@N00/11410039316/
Lunch at Hotel Roanoke.

BostonPobble said...

Grandma Carol ~ Lovely!