Pages

Sunday, December 01, 2013

Another Travel Day

When I agreed to do NaBloPoMo with Lori, I had forgotten that November rolls right on into December. Okay, perhaps "forgotten" is too strong a word. I just didn't think it through. Because my own personal tradition has me posting a seasonal song every day in December through early January. Which means a lot more posting for me, even though NaBloPoMo is over. What the hell, why not?

An interesting thing about being on the road at least 26 weeks out of the year ~ you start taking travel for granted. Lithus' time off ends on July 1, so we travel July 1. He gets off shift on July 20, we travel on July 21. No big deal. Unless you replace "July" with "December." Suddenly, we are finding ourselves traveling on some of the busiest travel days of the entire year, completely by accident. And you know what else? The airlines really don't care that we're not traveling for holiday reasons. The prices are the same for us as they are for everyone else who is looking to travel this month, and only this month. Those $300 round trip tickets we were getting in July? Not so much. At least his office manager gets tickets early enough that we are still sitting together. It's a nice little perk.

This really isn't a complaining post ~ although I understand why you might read it as such ~ as much as it is an observant one. I remember once, back when I was making the drive from Worcester to the Lovely Cat's house a lot, I made the run during summer and was stunned at how many people were in my rest stop. It was usually me, a couple truckers, and the people behind the counters. This stop, it was me, a couple truckers, the people behind the counters ~ and a bazillion summer family road trippers. I'm expecting the same kind of reaction when we get to Salt Lake airport this afternoon.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee. And oh yeah, some music to start the season...


0 comments: