Pages

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Cat in the Hat

The Lovely Cats was in (rather dire) need of a play date so Bear and I jumped in the Pobble Mobile and drove down for two nights. Honestly, I had no idea what I was going to go for. I might have been walking into a situation where she said "Great! Wash the dishes, clean the bathtub and I'll be home in four hours. Oh, and here's the kid." Or, I might have been walking into a shoot the moon 36 hours. Or somewhere in between. Turned out to be somewhere in between.

I spent time playing with Princess Kitten and watching t.v. with The Silent Prince. Tom Cat and I sat at the table and caught up. But I was there for The Lovely Cats so we did what girlfriends do; we found the Target and went shopping.

She is relatively new to her town and had a general idea of where it was but hadn't made the trek yet. So we made it together. Once there, she mentioned how she wished she could wear hats and threw one on her head to prove how horrendous they looked on her.

She looked great. Serious ass backfire.

After trying on several, she settled on the first one. A teal newsboy cap. Except she would only get it if I got one. I agreed to get the one she chose for me. We walked out in a teal newsboy and a brown, courderoy cowboy hat.

But let me tell you what happened. We went from being two, stressed women in a small town to being totally tough and bad ass. I mean, we were Cool. Cool with a capital "c". Men flirted. Women sneered. Even our walks changed. We could have ordered whiskey in a dirty glass and not made fools of ourselves.

This morning, reality was back. It was time for me to get back to Boston and her to put on her clerics and go back to work. We decided the teal newsboy wouldn't exactly work with her collar but that it would go back on as soon as she changed shirts. And the cowboy hat worked fabulously with me ~ even if it only worked so well with my clothes. In fact, I have just now taken it off in order to settle down and go to sleep. Hopefully, the newsboy stayed on her head as long.

God willing, we learn something new everyday. What I learned is buy a hat. Next time you need to go from stressed to bad ass, buy a hat. You'll look great. And feel even better.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.


2 comments:

christine mtm said...

yes... once the collar came off the hat went on.

Anonymous said...

Okay...come to Lynchburg and I will take you to Target and try on hats and strut out of there wearing one, too.

Miss and love you-
C