Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2005

One More Goodbye

I am officially single. Didn't get to tell him until today but it happened last night at midnight or so. Let's get one thing straight, first: I'm a demanding bitch. However, I am also a very fair demanding bitch. I do not expect people to read my mind. I spell out what my expectations are very clearly. There are two things that send me into very dark places ~ being ignored and being left hanging. I make no bones about these two things and, even so, give a guy a couple chances to get it.

Last night, my fella and I hadn't seen each other in a couple days 'cause The Lovely Cats and Princess Kitten were in town. He called and we agreed he would be over about 9-ish. At 9, he called and said he wanted to go out with the guys. NO PROBLEM. I asked if I would see him at all that evening and he said yes. 10:15-ish. No later than 10:30 because his buddy had a 10 o'clock train back to the 'burbs. So, I took a bath in our favorite scent and settled in with a good book to wait for him.

At 11:30, refusing to go into my dark place, I went to bed. At midnight, he called. Still out with the guys. ~ sigh ~ I told him to go home when he was done.

At two in the morning, my phone rang. His buddy, drunk. And it rang again at 2:03. His buddy, drunk. And again at 2:05. I finally took the phone into the living room which is a good thing because my caller i.d. shows that my phone rang again at 3:10 and 3:13.

When we talked today, he thought I was breaking up with him because of the drunk dial. Now, admittedly, Alan did him no favors. But that's not why I ended it. I'm not THAT much of a bitch. Partly, I ended it because of the hour and a half lag time between the time he said he would be here "at the latest" and the time he called. At some point, Alan decided not to take a 10 o'clock train. A phone call then would have made this whole thing a non-issue.

But, partly, I broke up with him because, after a year, and knowing what silence does to me, he still thought I was breaking up with him because of the drunk dial. He truly didn't get the other aspect of it. Which means, after a year, he truly didn't get me ~ and wasn't going to. And that's MOSTLY why I broke up with him.

And I will miss him. Not just because he did my dishes or because he helped with the trash (although those were always nice) but because he's a nice guy. Nice guys are...well...nice. There are still peaches on my counter that he brought over so I could make a cobbler. He was a good friend. And, at the same time, I need a partner who gets me.

So, I am single again. This time I think I'll stay this way for a little while. Maybe get a dog, maybe not. Whichever way, I'm just going to enjoy being me and with me for a little while. There have been an awful lot of good byes recently. I think I'll spend some time with somebody I won't ever be saying goodbye to. She's really good company.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the beginning of your story, you said you were a bitch. I'm wondering if this guy who did your dishes, and is a nice guy, deserved a little more slack. I'm sure there is more to this story than he just didn't call on time. You sound to me, like you are very controlling, self centered and selfish.