Pages

Friday, August 05, 2005

Too Much on my Mind

I discovered last night that I've got too much on my mind. While I sort of knew this, it became clear at 3 o'clock this morning when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Normally, I can listen to my book on tape or tell myself The Three Bears and next thing I know, I don't know anything because I'm asleep. Not so last night. Which is a sure sign my brain is in overload.

Now, understand, I don't think I have more on my mind than anyone else. We've all got crap going on. But my crap is the crap that's keeping me awake so it's the most important crap to me.

There are bills to pay; a book to write; a name to change; an apartment to clean; friends to catch up with; weight to lose; meals to prepare; appointments to make; errands to run... You get the idea.

When I make out a list (and you know I love lists) like the one above, it doesn't seem so overwhelming. And somehow, when it comes time to Do It, it feels more overwhelming than ever, even than it did at 3 o'clock in the dark of the day. It just seems easier to sit and read my book ~ mine as in I own it, not mine as in I've written it ~ or noodle on the computer or write Pobble Thoughts or sit in Copley Square and people watch. There's always a nap to take.

What I know is that eventually, the bills will get paid; the book will get written...you understand. It will all happen in time. Just probably not today. And I guess that's okay, too.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are SO good at this. I'm considering doing it myself. I like the idea of talking in writing to clear my head.

Your crap IS important, and it WILL get done. I keep telling myself the same thing, too.

Love & Miss You-
C

christine mtm said...

i can get tired thinking of everything i have to do. sometimes i think the list is more exhausting than the actual performing of the things on it.

Anonymous said...

Lists are my very life blood. Hate paper, so I have a Palm Pilot. Lots of lists. Some short, some long, some emphemeral ie "just for today", some durable "this is what I want to do before I die"

Lists forever, baby!!!