Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

Challenge

Get Off My Lawn! has a meme up. (author's note ~ it went up a couple days ago) He left the tag open but told people to take it if they wanted it. He also added that it's harder than it sounds. Which, of course, made me decide I needed to do it because I do love a good challenge.

List five things people here don't know about you.

Hm...I can already tell this one might not see the "publish post" button... But we'll try. With one caveat ~ it can't include the Lovely Cats. If I have to come up with five things the Lovely Cats doesn't know about me, the post will end up being things like what I had for breakfast yesterday and that I am going to the post office today. She knows everything else. Which is comforting and a little scary at the same time. ;)

1. While I learned this past Christmas Eve that I enjoy a roast goose, I also learned that the bones freak me out. The wings are too big for the rest of the body once all the feathers are gone and it's just lying there, on the platter, waiting to become dinner. And the neck bone...Jesus, watching Lithus pull this thing out of the body was like watching a sword being drawn. It just kept coming. All the time, I'm trying to remind myself what geese look like when they are alive and convince myself that this thing on the platter is indeed what it is supposed to look like and it's not some mutant, alien goose with too long limbs. Loved the meat. Next year, I'll skip watching the prep.

2. "The Pobble" is the closest thing to a universal nickname I have ever had. Mind you, I've had a ton of nicknames over the last 38 years but they have all been person or relationship specific. I have been called: by my last name only (the Divine M); by my first initial only (the Lovely Cats and Lrns); Bunk or Bunker; Mame or Auntie Mame; Sister; Bunny; Pooh Lady; O.G.; Charlie; JB; Kyde; Gordo; Harpo; Pinky; Big Pink Cookie; Sheriff; Viv; Chris; and Bing. For the record, no, none of those are up for grabs. ;) However, for someone who has had this many nicknames ~ and whatever else I've been called behind my back ~ I've never had a universal one.

Wow... this is tough. Every time I think oh, I'll write that, I realize I've already mentioned it somewhere here...

3. I am right handed. Growing up, I was always right handed in everything ~ except for throwing a ball. And I could throw a ball pretty well. Until my gym teachers realized I was throwing with my left hand and started making me throw a ball right handed. Now, I can't throw a ball well at all ~ with my right or my left hand.

4. Ferris wheels scare the bejeezus out of me. I can ride anything fast or scary or twisty or turny. And I enjoy slow, leisurely rides. Except for ferris wheels. That moment when the car comes over the top and breaks the arch...I've been known to cry.

One more...need one more...

5. The streak I wear in my hair is based on a real grey streak. All the women in my family have had it. My mother, my sister, both grandmothers and all my great-aunts. There was no escaping this. If anything, mine has filled in later in life than the others ~ and I found my first grey in that area at age 14. Eventually, I want the streak to not be bleached at all, just my natural grey.

Wow. That is tougher than expected. I started writing on this post two days ago. Whew. Let me know if you take it up.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.


11 comments:

Nemeria said...

Yep, I didn't know any of those. Not even the Ferris Wheel. Freak. ;-)

D-Man said...

I've always wanted to try goose...

And I'm never gonna let you live down "Pooh Lady."

BostonPobble said...

Nemeria ~ I'm surprised you didn't know about the Ferris Wheel or realize about the grey streak. And yes, Freak works. ;)

D-Man ~ Goose is all dark meat so you have to like that. If you do...it's great! And of all of them you might have locked on, does it *have* to be Pooh Lady?

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! We're twins! I have a gray streak in my hair too! And it's genetic. It's what finally convinced me I wasn't adopted by my mom! How weird is that?

Oh, and the ferris wheel thing? ME TOO!

Jaded said...

I did not know about the goose or the ferris wheel. I've never had goose. Since I'm deathly afraid of heights, the ferris wheel is out for me. The amusement park is a place to be, well, amused, not have an enormous panic attack.

And not to change the subject, but... what I mean to say is... oh never mind. You know.

Hermes said...

Nicely done! I liked the part about your streak being "based on" a natural one. Kind of like movies are based on books or on an original story. Inevitably, the original is always better than the extrapolations and embellishments.

I was also wondering about "pooh lady". There must be a story behind that.

BostonPobble said...

Traci ~ My grey streak is genetic, too. That's what I meant by the statement "there was no escaping this one."

Jaded ~ Oh yeah...I hear you, my friend. ;)

GOML! ~ Why thanks. And yes, the "based on" grey streak isn't nearly as interesting as the real one. That's why the eventual goal is for the streak to be natural.

christine mtm said...

you did very well... even if you had to compete with all my pobble knowledge.

Annie Thomas-Burke said...

I am jealous! I want a grey streak! That is so cool!
I have a few grey at my temples and more up top I cant see, but they are all wirey and not at all what I want!
(all rides make me ill, and the ferris wheel especially. I always get stuck at the top and am terrified.
(scribbleandscribe.wordpress.com posting on a blogger account!)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I'm with you on the ferris wheel front. I'm terrified of heights, still addicted to rollercoasters, the upside-downier, the better. Will NOT get on a ferris wheel, though.

BostonPobble said...

Lovely Cats ~ Glad to know I succeeded!

Annie ~ The streak is really cool. You could always try the artificial way and just bleach one out...?

GNightGirl ~ The ferris wheel thing is more common than I had realized.