Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Pleasant Surprises

Over the last several days, I have been taken happily by surprise by...

* The Christmas lights of Freeport, Maine. Really, really beautiful.
* An unexpected snow. Enough to make everything glow and feel wonderfully wintry but not enough to keep me from getting home. Perfect hot cocoa weather.
* The melted butter sounds of Nat King Cole. I'm a huge (HUGE) Nat King Cole fan anyway and you can find him on my cd player regularly. But to stumble across him on the radio is delightful
* A phone call from my oldest nephew ~ my heart ~ for no reason but to say hi and that he missed me.
* A bedroom lit by nothing by candles. The power went out the other night and, after the initial cursing, my bedroom was so pretty and welcoming.
* Learning that my friends still come to Worcester, eventhough it's not as easy as jumping on the T.
* Learning that I still go into Boston to visit my friends, eventhough it's not as easy as jumping on the T.
* Having a long conversation about writing with another author. He has been at it a lot longer than I have and is known and respected in the field ~ and talked to me as an equal and fellow writer.
* Godiva liqueur. I've heard of it. I've known I should try it. I finally got a chance to. Highly recommended. Even more so than I had expected.
* Having glasses that serve eggnog in such a perfect size. They are glasses I inherited and would never have bought on my own. They are pretty, add just a little something to serving the drink, and are perfect for eggnog ~ or Godiva liqueur, I'm sure. ;)
* Discovering I know my way around my new town, even if I don't know the most direct routes.
* Starbucks' eggnog lattes are back. Had I given it any thought, I would have realized that, of course they are back. But I hadn't. Until I saw them advertised. I didn't even stop for one. Just knowing I can is nice enough.

As always, I try to be open to the little things. The small surprises that make life so wonderful and so worth living everyday instead of just on "important" days. Do I always succeed? Lord, of course not. But usually, I recognize them, I get them, and I am so grateful for them. And these certainly counted. Here's hoping your days are filled with the little, pleasant surprises that make a day a little nicer, too.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

1 comments:

dondon009 said...

Things are going well after all....

Seems a perfect time to do a little decorating!

I have never has a Starbucks eggnog latte. I will, this week... and I will toast our friendship!