Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Reflections and Resolutions

Happy New Year! 2006 is upon us. Doesn't it just seem like yesterday when we were all in a tizzy over Y2K? And here we are, six years later, keeping on keeping on.

And what a year it has been. Cracker Lilo was sitting on her porch again and left a comment for me that really resonated. In a post, I had mentioned how I was concerned I was becoming Hard. Among her many reassuring comments was this one: "Also, it could just be that you're adjusting to not having to go from BIG CRISIS to BIG CRISIS. " While the other ones were making me breathe easier, that's the one that drew me up sharp. First was the no, that's not the case. It's been a great year. I got my book contracts; I chose and was chosen by great family; I've made and kept amazing friends, including several people currently reading this blog; I was able to stay in the Boston area...

Then I thought about it. Wow. The last three years have been just that ~ Big Crisis to Big Crisis. A divorce and all that entails; major issues with my bio-family; a health crisis (long resolved, no worries); employment crises; broken relationships; deaths and far too many castings in celebration of a life (I could only attend one of the official funerals.) You get the idea.

Now, she's right. Life has settled down. Oh, I still have money worries and will until Pauline starts selling her books. And the issues with my bio-family will continue, to a lesser degree, throughout our lives. Yet, it's different now. My life has relaxed ~ I just haven't quite caught up with it yet. It's a transition I'm really looking forward to making.

In light of that, I have made some unusual New Year's Resolutions. Yes, I'm jumping on Rose's bandwagon. I want to lose the weight I need to make my body feel better; eat more veggies; quit smoking (Feb. 1 is my quit date if anyone is interested); keep my apartment cleaner; and get on the treadmill more. (Not all of these are Rose's but then, I don't think she's a smoker and I doubt she's a cluttered as I!) I'm also making some others:

* I want to use my tea sets. I have gorgeous china and silver tea sets that I have inherited/been given/collected over the years. It's about time they were used for more than decoration.
* I'm going to settle down in the evenings. Take time for me to sit and read or watch a movie or just be. Light a candle, make tea or cocoa, and...Be.
* I also want to keep candles lit more often. They are a worthy expense for me. The belt is tight enough, I've given up enough other "luxuries." Candles shouldn't be one of them.
* Once a week, I'm going to give myself a manicure and pedicure. Do it right with my paraffin wax and everything. Just because I can't afford to have someone else do it for me, doesn't me I can't have it done.
*I'm going to write my nephew ~ my heart ~ more often. We are too far apart and it would be too easy to lose touch.
* Finally, I want to make sure I have people over more often. Have gatherings of friends at least every other month. Not full parties but not just quick-hey-what-are-you-doing-Friday-night-wannagettogether-nights either. Gatherings. Sometimes pot luck dinners. Sometimes game nights. Sometimes a beauty night with my Girlfriends so we can all have manicures and pedicures.

I think these are things that will help me realize that my life has settled down. That I don't have to rush from crisis to crisis any longer. And I know they are things that will help me embrace this new way of being. And isn't that what resolutions are all about anyway?

What about you? Aside from the standards, what do you want to do to help embrace a new year and a fresh start?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

9 comments:

dondon009 said...

I'm just stopping by one more time in 2005 to thank you for coming into my life. How I cherish that!

As for myself, I want to find inner peace in 2006 as I begin the process of healing!

Here's a toast to you, dear Pobble with hopes that we can finally toast in person in 2006.

DON~

Jaded said...

Happy New Year, my friend.

I don't do the whole resolution thing. I see no reason to set myself up for failure like that. I don't want to change anything about myself, actually, but rather enhance what I have and who I am. When I "resolve," it makes me feel so "less than," as if I'm not worthy so I need to change. So, I don't do that.

What I will be doing is eating better, hoping to lose more weight. It's a health thing rather than an asthetic thing. Playing more stuff with Jadette, 'cause she's at that age when she likes to play stuff. We're gonna do more exploring and less staying at home. I'd like to spend less time being busy and more time with friends.

That's the stuff I think will enhance my life... make it better than it already is.

When are you coming back this way?

Dreamer said...

Trying to become a better person and not be so dower at times. I have a new puppy and a not-so-new-but-relatively-so boyfriend, so life is looking up. I want to better my relationships with people, existing and possibly new ones. I also wish to gain back the creative spark I know I've misplaced...writing should be a joy, not a burden.

Well, there's mine. Love you muchness and have a wonderful Happy New Year.

Oh, and when losing weight, make sure there is still enough of you so when I see you in a year and some odd months I won't hurt you when I tackle/hug you.

Love,
Moi

christine mtm said...

oooh, i love the new look. don't forget how to do it so that once i am back up and running i can have something cool(er) too!

and i finally got to write a real blog!!! so happy... dinner with omom and dad now. happy happy new year~ here's to it being little crisis to little crisis instead of the other possibilites.

Nemeria said...

Happy New Year!! I resolve to see Pobble at least twice this year, if not more!!! And no other resolution can top that, baby!

Anonymous said...

Happy 2006! Are we getting old or what? Ugh!

My babies will become 6 and 2 in this calendar year. That makes me weepy. I can't think about that yet.

I joined Weight Watchers on Saturday. Here's to less and less of me! I also promise myself to speak more of my mind..you know what I mean..stand up for myself more and make it known when I am not completely comfortable and/or satisfied. Kind of a "I'm important, too!" kind of thing.

Much love to you. Miss you tons. Be in touch as soon as you can.

Love, The One in VA

Van Cong Tu said...

Happy New year. nice blog

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Tea, manicures and candles, can I borrow your resolutions? They're lovely! Nice blog!

CrackerLilo said...

WOW. I'm just amazed that I could make such an impact! I hope that ultimately, it helped. But ultimately, we all have to help ourselves anyway--just that sometimes we need suggestions or reassurance.

*hug* Your resolutions sound so much nicer than the usual, too!