Pages

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Perspective

Friends of mine were in from Maine last night. It was the first time I got to meet their 8-year old daughter, the Mini-Mainer. They were flying into Logan from Florida where they had spent Thanksgiving and heading back up to Maine this morning. So, I went into town, the not-ex-friend and I met them at the airport and we all hung out. After dinner, it was late and we were all tired. I just crashed on the futon.

This morning, the Mini-Mainer and I go out so I can have a smoke. The door of the Pobble Mobile is open. Someone had gone in a stolen my coat. I loved this coat. So, I'm crawling around, looking to see what is gone and what is still there (smokes? check. Snorlax? check. cd's? check.) and trying not to teach the 8-year old brand new and interesting words to take back to school with her when she speaks up.

"Wow. Someone must have been really, really cold to take something that didn't belong to them."

...

...

...

Perspective is an interesting thing. Now, I still said all those wonderfully, descriptive and insulting words once the Mini-Mainer was out of earshot and I'm really not happy about someone stealing my coat (come on, people...!!!!!) and yet...

Maybe someone was really, really cold. There were a lot of things that weren't taken. So, I'm grateful for the perspective. It was a coat. And I have others. And I can afford another one if needbe. Basically, if they didn't need it, shame on them. And if they did ~ well, it was just a coat.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee ~ if you've got it.

4 comments:

dondon009 said...

My first thought while reading this was also... "I sure hope that coat was stolen because they needed it"...... otherwise, how sad that during this season of giving...... some are content to "take".

After the disaster in New Orleans and with the possibility of a similar event happening in this area, I've reflected a lot on
my "possessions", and their true value to me. Not much, actually but dammit, they're mine. And I certainly don't want anyone taking what's mine!

Sorry this happened!

Boston in springtime.... I certainly hope the Pobble will be able to take another trip into Boston! I want to see the swans again.

CrackerLilo said...

Isn't it amazing how kids can force us to come up with a better perspective than we could have on our own?

I'm sorry it happened, anyway. I hope you can get another. *hug*

Blue Dog Art said...

Wow. Someone must have really needed it.

Twisted Lady said...

Last summer someone reached into my mini van and stole an entire ashtray full of change. They also took our class rings. I had them hanging on the rearview. Hubby and I went to high school together. When we started dating we wore each others rings around our necks until we got engaged. They were irreplaceable and I was heart broken. The sad part is that they aren't "worth" anything, they weren't platinum or gold. Just regular class rings but they meant a LOT to us and they are gone forever.

Sad!