Pages

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Unpacking

I promise I won't detail every single I unpack that I love or that takes me by surprise or that makes me smile or whatever. These things though...these deserve mention.

See, not only am I unpacking the things that were in the Boston apartment, I'm also unpacking things that came from the house dick-boy (my new, well-earned name for my ex-husband) and I shared and, most importantly, things that were sent to me when my mom and bio-sister packed up the house in Virginia after my dad died and mom moved West. And, oh, the things I am finding...

My mom has given me most of my grandmother's china, crystal and silver. The woman had impeccable taste. Impeccable (if an odd penchant for collecting crystal salt and pepper shakers.) Glass bottles, gorgeous silver that shines through the tarnish of being in boxes for too many years, etched glasses, bone china... Each piece is amazing and makes me wish more and more I had known her. I am determined to clean it all up and USE IT! I don't believe in "saving the good stuff." And it displays beautifully in her mother's china hutch!

Several other boxes include things from my dad's desk. When he died, he had an extensive fiction library and was a big enough science fiction fan that he actually left books by different authors to each of his children. I got the Asmiovs and the Heinleins. So I was expecting those. What I wasn't expecting was to be able to smell him when I opened the boxes. Just a drift that was gone almost as soon as I smelled it. But there he was. Right there with me, laughing and happy the books were home.

The other thing I wasn't expecting was how much of my childhood he had kept. In a box with other stuff from his desk were just about every card I had ever given him ~ including one with my mother's handwriting reading "Love, Pobble" under my scribble from when I was too young to even write. A project on the 50 states from 5th grade. Papers I had done particularly well on my freshman year in college. You get the idea.

I also found prom pictures from 1987. There are Nemeria and myself, dressed in our best 80's small town rebel garb (think Flock of Seagulls for her and Laura Branigan for me) and the young men we fancied ourselves in love with. Nemeria and I are still together. Couldn't tell you what happened to the guys. But there we are.

So, as I unpack, I'm laughing and crying and talking into my empty apartment to all sorts of people ~ some of whom are actually here and some of whom are long gone. It's like Christmas morning with a dash of old-blue-jeans-comfort thrown in. And while there is definitely some melancholia in there, mostly it's just ... good.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Nemeria said...

Ah - the 50 states project. Wasn't that with Mrs. Spencer? I remember getting into an argument with her about the spelling of "Maine." I swear that I spelled it M-a-i-n-e but she said I stuck the "i" in AFTER she handed back the papers.

Grrr. Amazing how things like that stick with you, isn't it?

I'm glad your dad was able to stop by. Good omen for your new place.

Miss you!!

dondon009 said...

Beautifully said my dear friend.... and now, I must confess, I moved to Florida 16 years ago and I still have boxes to unpack.

After the devastation caused by Katrina and Rita, I realized that possessions are temporary and need to be enjoyed!

I am unpacking the never used china this year and I will be using it this Christmas......

I've posted my first communion picture today so that you may more easily recognize me when I arrive in Boston!

Rose said...

I have so much to unpack and get rid of that I wish I could move to clean out everything...
remininsing is good for you

christine mtm said...

wish i could've been there to smell him with you.