Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Depression and Disgust

Shortly before Thanksgiving, I started showing signs of a depressive episode. This was unexpected because it was early. My last one was March and I generally run on a year cycle. This means for 11 or 12 months straight, I am me. The Pobble. I have good days and bad days like anybody else, am generally happy, and am more sane than not.

Then it hits. My chemicals get wonky and out of balance. For the next 4-8 weeks, I'm different. Really, really different. The good part is that between behavior mod and good meds, I can keep it at 4-8 weeks, depending on the severity of the episode. The sad part is that I have to be very careful with whom I share these 4-8 weeks.

See, it's tiring to support someone with Depression. It's a very long 4-8 weeks. I cry. A lot. And hard. I'm not upbeat or perky. I don't want to do much and often can't make myself. I'm a dreadfully annoying combination of isolationist and needy. Most people react with disgust.

As I was explaining to Graziella last night (who is handling it with incredible sensitivity and grace, for the record), part of it is the label it carries. At least in my opinion. I have posted on this in the past. When someone hears "schizophrenia" or "bi-polar" or "PTSD", they realize that something unusual and major is happening here. When someone hears "Depression" the same triggers don't get thrown. I mean, everybody gets depressed, right? Why don't you just dig deep and find a smile? Can't you find a happy thought and focus on that? Take a day or two and then snap out of it? Dear Goddess...if I only could.

We live in a society that denies pain. We're all supposed to soldier on. Martyrs are admired and whiners are judged. Raw emotions make us incredibly uncomfortable. And so, in my experience, most people do not react well to a situation where a person cannot simply suck it up.

We tend to disregard the importance of sitting in silence instead of trying to fix. We tend to be uncomfortable saying "This makes me uncomfortable." We would rather be disgusted by the person than deal with their ~ and our own ~ turmoil in the situation.

I am lucky enough to have friends and family who can indeed handle what happens to me during these long 4-8 weeks out of every 52 or so. At least, some of them can. And I understand why the rest can't, even as it hurts to have to hide this part of myself from them. See, disgust is understandable. Even as it hurts.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

9 comments:

Nemeria said...

Oh, sweetie, hang in there. Love you!

prioritybooks said...

Some people are terrible and lack an understanding about most things. Don't worry about what others think, just take care of you and enjoy the friends who stick by you.

Anonymous said...

May your encounter with the black dogs of depression pass swiftly by. I know that sometimes, a smile just isn't possible, but know that I'm sending you best wishes and praying to the Divine to keep you in Her embrace.

kimber the wolfgrrrl

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry things are rough right now. I have depression too. My biggest gripe with it - is in fact - the NAME. As you say, it implies that there is an ounce of control there in the afliction. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

It's not the blues. It's not the sad. It's the body's auto pilot into extreme emotions not appropriate for the time or place. All while the conscious mind knows it's wrong and can do nothing about it.

My thoughts are with you.

Zoom

Anonymous said...

i tried to comment for days and was unable to. then i figured out tonight that i wasn't using the right account! duh, trace.

depression sucks. no two ways about it. i wouldn't wish the dark pit on people i don't like so you can imagine how sad i am that you are experiencing it.

please know that even though i am incognito much of the time anymore, i hold you close in spirit and think of you daily. you've touched my life in such a special way and i am more grateful than you know.

may the dark pit pass you by quickly sweet one. peace.

Jaded said...

I have been hibernating, doing my best to get things done, but waiting anxiously for my doctor appointment on the 21st. I need meds, and am glad I know that I do. My brother says it's "general anxiety disorder" with a bit of depression. It's been getting progressively worse over the past 6 or 8 months, and as you can probably even tell from my blog, I have been less able to even speak out. So, I am totally with you on this whole thing.

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

This time "I'm right there with you"...I get my "seasonal depression" with the onset of fall and I've tried the drugs, but decided they weren't for me, so now I just muddle through it as I always have... You, as always, have my full support and understanding...

Krystal said...

It's a lack of compassion. Most people suck.

It's okay to be depressed sometimes.

dondon009 said...

You know that I am your friend...

You know that I am only a telephone call away...

You know that I care...

You know that I love you...

DON~