Pages

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Old School

Since I missed yesterday, you get two posts today. I know. Thrilling.

Anyway, when it comes to the holidays, I'm old school. Actually, when it comes to a lot of things, I'm old school. But since this post is on the holidays, we'll focus on that.

And what does this mean, specifically? It means I hate gift cards. To me, gift cards say "I don't know you well enough to figure something out to get you so here's a wad of cash instead." Now, as with everything, there are exceptions to this rule. Gift cards are acceptable when...

*they are for a specific thing. I'm talking a massage, a housecleaning, even an oil change. Something you know the person wants but you can't wrap up in a box and stick it under a tree.
*they are used creatively. The year of AngryGirlfriend's 25th birthday, I got her 25 gift cards to 25 different stores. When the SGM and I were broke, broke, broke early in the marriage, the Lovely Cats gave us $20 to Starbucks. We were able to make that sucker stretch out for a month and it gave us a night out once a week ~ something that we couldn't have afforded otherwise.
*they are for something that you would want to do with the person but you aren't together in order to do it. The Starbucks gift card is a good example. Dunkin Donuts falls in here too. Restaurants to your favorite foodie. Movie passes for the friend who loves movies.

So when don't I like gift cards? When it is simply $25 to Target. Or Macy's. Or somewhere random. That's not a gift. That's handing them cash. That's not a present. That's a deposit. Personally, I would rather get vanilla bubble bath or another candle every single year than just be handed a gift card to a department store. And I'm going to take the time to find the thing that I know you like, not something I could give to you or any other random person who might wander through my life. But maybe that's just me.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I do hate giving gift cards myself for the same reason. I do, however, not mind being given one. How do you feel about coffee baskets? I do have an add on to acceptable gift card "givage". If you don't know what to give the seniors on your list...the one's who have everything and want nothing...how about a gift card to their local pharmacy to help defer their medication costs. I can tell you from experience when they bring them in that they really appreciate them.

Jaded said...

I like gift cards. I like the idea that someone was honest enough to say that he or she didn't know what to get, and that they appreciate me enough to get me something I'd like.

I do give out a particular gift card very often, though. I get a gift certificate set from the local movie theatre, good for 2 tickets and 10 bucks toward concessions. I wrap it up in an old fashioned pop corn box with cookies and other goodies. It's a way to give a night out to someone, and I like that.

nRT said...

you've got me thinking about the neices and nephews gifts now...i was going to give the teens $ with a small gift but now i might re think my gift giving.
thanks

2 Dollar Productions said...

I'd agree up to a certain point, but I'll take a gift card to anywhere over a fruitcake and a random bottle of wine any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

And then again... What about the person for whom, you know out of experience, always prefers the gift they selected for themselves and always returns the gift you selected for them so that they can get what they really want? If that is the established pattern, then why not a gift card to a store that you know ther frequent and enjoy?

christine mtm said...

i plan on one gift card this year for my 8 yr old nephew who wants to buy video games. the idea is for him to go shopping with his daddy.

otherwise... agreed. and i hate it when someone says: just get me a gift card. no, i want to give you a gift. of course... i love getting gift cards.

and good for you about the job.

Graziella said...

Hee hee hee, I agree! I really enjoyed you going off on a hand picked personalized gift. That was great.

dondon009 said...

According to local news, many teenagers are requesting gift cards this year..... which, in my opinion takes all meaning out of gift giving.... which could eventually lead to you give me a gift card to "whatever", I give you a gift card to the same "whatever".... why bother in the first place?

Personally, I wouldn't mind a gift card to my local Mercedes dealer.... a substantial amount gift card, that is.