Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

500? Really? Well...That's Cool

According to the blogger gods, this is my 500th post. Somehow, I feel I should be more excited about this than I am. Don't get me wrong; I do think it's cool. At the same time, though...eh.

Instead of making a big to-do about it, I think I'll simply leave it at these two paragraphs and then write the post I was going to write before I realized it was the 500th post. So whoo-hoo. 500 posts. There we go. Moving on...

It's been hot here. Like triple digits hot. So, Sunday, Lithus, Timber and I went to the river. I know. I went outdoors willingly. Shocking, isn't it? Blame the heat. It must have made me crazed. There are several wonderful parks out here, though, and a couple weeks ago, we had found this one quite by accident. It's a lovely river with rocky beach and lots of shade and truly beautiful.

This past weekend seemed the perfect time to go intentionally. So, we grabbed drinks and some snacks, dressed in our suits and off we went. I have to say, I'm a bit envious of GNightGirl and Zooom. They always seem to have their cameras with them and their batteries always seem to be charged. How I wish I was like that because I would love (lovelovelove) to be able to post pictures.

It was as lovely as we'd hoped it would be. The current is strong enough to drift you downstream but not so strong as to be scary. The river rocks are fun slimy, not gross slimy. And the water was the perfect temperature, once you got yourself in it.

As a Pagan, I try to stay connected to the four elements: earth, air, fire and water. Fire is easy for me. Air is easy, too. Not as easy as fire but easy. I wear the Muppet's earring at all times and he is an air witch so I carry air with me. Water is generally taken care of because I take my baths that I love so much but I admit to not being as connected as I need to be. Earth...well, earth and I aren't very connected. I don't spend a lot of time with earth. If anything, I spend quite a bit of time avoiding earth. Yet on Sunday, I was enveloped in all four elements. The fire I carry with me; the air around me; the water buoying me; the earth under my hands, my feet and bumping up against my butt as I floated downstream.

From this perspective, looking back on it, I realize it was exactly what I needed to bring some balance back into my life. From the other side on Sunday morning, it just seemed like a fun thing to do. I've said for a very long time, even before I was Pagan, the Universe gives us what we need. TTG I decided to listen this time, right?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

8 comments:

ZooooM said...

HOORAY! 500 and outside!

And the only reason I have a camera with me at almost all times is because Mr. Zoom got tired of me saying I didn't have one with me when I wanted it. So he got me a little camera I can keep in my purse with like, 4 spare batteries. HOWEVER, the absolute best, most fun stuff always shows up when I have nothing with me.

I also find that I often need photographic evidence of things I see - both for myself and others. Which is why the unicycle has continued to haunt me STILL!!

I'd rather be like you. Writing for a living and blogging good, intelligent things on the net. Besides, you don't need pictures. You describe well in writing. I say unhelpful things like NEAT and then my ADD kicks in.

My blog is just a lot of boob jokes and bad taste.

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Congrats on the 500th post.

Also, I don't know too much about the Pagan belief system so I was curious how that works: being immersed in the four elements, if you don't mind me asking?

I love learning about different faiths and beliefs and I try to adopt ideologies for myself. I believe that's made me a richer person over the years.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

500, yay!

I liked the "fun slimy" v. "gross slimy" comparison; it totally put things into perspective. Sounds like a stellar day. I won't tell you how it was so chilly at the campground this weekend that the women all put sweatpants & shirts on, and huddled in blankets around the fire. I won't tell you that.

And I've pretty much had a camera on my person since I was 18. Leaving home without one is like leaving without my purse.

Graziella said...

Your Pagan bit really made me giggle. :) Because I'm really moving along in my metaphysical experiences and connection to the earth, water, air and fire. :) And because for the first time, I've related to this more than the Christianity, that has been the foundation of my faith for so long. Seventh-day-pagan as you coined it.

Glad you had a great time, it sounds lovely.

Cam Pike said...

500! Congrats!

That sounds like a lovely day! Next thing you know, you'll be camping! (ok, probably not...tell you what...next time I camp, then it will be your turn to camp...and we know how likely that is)

:)

CrackerLilo said...

It feels good to get back with nature. I know I'm due for another surf day *soon*. That's how I get in touch with at least two of the elements. So glad you could commune with the elements. It's just so necessary!

I connect with earth when I work with my plants and fire when I grill. :-)

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, and congratulations on the 500th post!!!!

2 Dollar Productions said...

Congratulations! I mean it as 500 posts is nothing to sneer at when you have to contend with deadlines, kids and life its ownself at every turn. Nice job.