Pages

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Activism, Apathy and Indifference

Activism (noun): the knowledge of, concern for, and action regarding social and political issues; usually accompanied by a willingness to change personal behaviors to some degree in order to affect change

Apathy (noun): the feeling that nothing one does will matter or change the status quo; often accompanied by a sense of hopelessness or resignation that changing personal behaviors is a waste of time and energy

Indifference (noun): the knowledge of an issue combined with a complete lack of concern for it; often accompanied by an unwillingness to change personal behaviors to any degree in order to affect change

(source: the Boston Pobble)

While I consider myself an activist, I am aware of the fact that I know people who make me look as if I don't even know who is running for President. And it's no secret that I am not as much an activist as I was before I decided it was bon bon time and started writing trashy romance novels. Still, I am aware and, when I hear of something new, I will do my best to incorporate it into my life.

That being said, I understand apathy. I understand the feeling that one person cannot make a difference. That one person buying, not buying, doing, not doing, voting, not voting, whatevering, not whatevering won't change a damn thing. The issues are too big, too overwhelming. Weighed next to the demands of our own lives, making the change, caring, being aware is just too much effort for little or no results. It makes me sad ~ and I understand it at the same time.

You know what I don't understand? I don't understand indifference. I don't understand refusing to make a small, insignificant change when told about a need. I don't understand underestimating the harm that can be done. I don't understand the absolute resistance ~ often bordering on obstreperousness (is that a word?) ~ that refuses to buy a cup of coffee or tea from a particular place, that refuses to even try another brand, that refuses to consider a change in one's actions. Not because it won't matter but because it is simply not important to make the change.

Only buy eco-friendly cleaning supplies? Good for you. Buy traditional cleaning supplies but refill the same bottle as often as possible to cut down on landfill? Good for you. Think 'oh shit...I always mean to do that but never remember when I'm at the store' when you read that? You know what? I even understand that. Support LGBT issues? Get your next bottle of water or cup of coffee from McDonald's. There's a boycott going on. Don't support LGBT issues? Get your next bottle of water or cup of coffee from Burger King. There's a boycott going on. Pro-choice? Don't order your pizza from Domino's; get it from Pizza Hut or Papa John's instead. Pro-life? Order from Domino's as often as possible. Correction: Domino's founder and owner sold the corporation almost ten years ago now. He was the one who supported the anti-abortion movement so this last bit is moot now. Sorry!

These little changes and those like them are big for activism. They are small enough to appeal to even the most apathetic ~ even if they aren't going to work (*grin*). So why wouldn't someone do them? Or, if these aren't your issues, why wouldn't someone take this kind of minor action over something that *is* their issue (and please, don't tell me that they *would* for something that directly affected them because this post is coming from somewhere, folks.) To be told about something that affects you and to not change just because you don't care enough... Nope. I don't understand indifference.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Obstreperousness" is a word. Sometimes I exemplify it...

Wouldn't it be nice to know where to learn about the boycotts you mention. Got a website?

BostonPobble said...

You and me, both!

First, the Domino's issue was never a full-out boycott (at least not that I ever knew of) which is why I intentionally didn't use that word with the Domino's issue. Second, it is apparently resolved and has been for quite a while (ooops!) and you can see that in the correction now added to the original post.

As for the McDonald's, that is indeed a full-out boycott (thus the word.) You can find more information here:
http://www.boycottmcdonalds.com/

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Cosigned on that entire post.

CrackerLilo said...

Thank you for this; it's lovely.

I don't do nearly often enough, but I try. I figure I need to do what I can with what I have been given to work with. Sometimes I slip, but I think for the most part I am fairly conscientious.

My office still gets its iced coffee from McDonald's. :-)

CrackerLilo said...

Sorry, I forgot to say:

Thank you for your support regarding my brother. I really appreciated that more than you can guess.

Anonymous said...

Somebody already beat me to it...

obstreperousness - noun - shout at [OED]

And add a "nailed it" from the peanut gallery :-)

2 Dollar Productions said...

I'm a firm believer in small things making a large difference. Besides, if you keep waiting for only enormous-sized opportuntities then you could waste vast chunks of life - at least I keep telling myself that. We'll see if it sicks.

MoonRaven said...

Thank you for being so clear about the effects of activism, apathy, and indifference--and so clear about how even the little things that you do may make a difference. It reminds me of the quote from Gandhi: "Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it."