Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Oooooo...Feel That?

That bite in the air when you first step out in the morning? That smell that hits the back of your sinuses and cools your throat on the way down? Yeah...that's Autumn.

I love Summer. I really do. And I'm grateful that the sun is warm, the temperature is in the low 80s and the sky is a cloudless blue.
Still...that bite in the air when Lionel and I stepped out earlier this morning. That never has and never will cease to make me smile. That's Autumn.

That's crackly leaves and hot cider and sweater-nights and warm fires after cool days. That's snuggling under a blanket under a harvest moon and Halloween and gourds and the smell of burning wood. That's wind stirring colored leaves on the trees and around my ankles and crunching beneath my feet.


It's coming. (photo from www.wadih-ghsoubi.com/Nature/2/index.html with thanks!)


Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pobble, how I wish that same feeling would appear around here. No such luck. It's heat and humidity for all. Nothing below 80 for at least the next 10 days.

Fall is my FAVORITE season, followed closely by winter. But mid-September through mid-January is just heaven for me. I can't wait!!!

Dennis R. Upkins said...

Autumn and winter are my two favorite seasons. Bring on the cold.

Crow Mother said...

ooooooo!! You got me where it hurts! Or feels yummiest... or some indescribably comforting, discomfitting combination. No chill in the morning air yet here in the high desert, but the nights have at least gotten comfortably cool again. And the days are defiitely getting shorter, especially noticable when we have to get up at 4:30 a.m. in darkness for the next 6 months. But it's coming... last fall was the best of my whole life. Don't go, Mary Poppins!! I miss you.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

It's been a cooler-than-usual summer here, dropping into the 50s on some nights. It's making me antsier for Autumn, my favorite of all seasons. Autumn is when I hit the brakes, and make time to be outside. That crisp air, the scents, the colors, oh the colors!

It's my "take time the to smell the roses" seasons. Only it's falling leaves.

Hermes said...

Happy Autumn. Missed you.

Anonymous said...

What is this Autumn you speak of and where could I buy some?

Autumn in Southern Texas doesn't exist. Autumn in Northern Texas does...odd...I saw a tree change colors for the first time last year and I took a picture of it with my phone and sent it to my mom. She laughed but understood since she grew up where the leaves change and now lives in a place where they don't.

It's not blistering hot anymore. It's just hot...so it's the tail end of summer and around the corner it looks like Winter...Autumn stops by for a day or two for a chat/one night stand, before running off.