Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Happy Holidays Means Something After All

I am always stunned when people don't like being wished a happy holidays. There's an internet thing going around that says people should say "Happy (insert whatever holiday they celebrate here)" and not be offended by anything else.

On the one hand, I get this. How great would it be if we could all wish each other Happy (Whatever) and it be okay! 

On the other...really? People get offended by my wishing them a happy holidays, because they think I'm disrespecting Christmas by actually acknowledging they might celebrate something other than Christmas. Which means the very acknowledgement of a possibility of them celebrating Hanukkah is enough to make them feel disrespected. These people would freak the fuck out if I wish them a Blessed Yule.

So I'll stick with Happy Holidays. Because I do wish you a Happy Hanukkah, a Blessed Yule, a Lovely Kwanzaa ~ and yes, a Merry Christmas. Because I know, love, and respect people who celebrate each one of those. I just don't presume to know which one you do.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.



0 comments: