Pages

Thursday, October 06, 2005

And When We Drink, We Drink Together

The title of this post comes from a song by Blackmore's Night. The lyrics are about good friends. When we sing, when we drink, when we fight, if we fall...we do it together. Here's the thing about good friends, as you know, I've got 'em.

Tonight, my favorite Bostonians (most of them anyway) are coming over to help celebrate my birthday. What a week this has been. Started at the spa with the Lovely Cats and the Divine M. Continued Monday night and Tuesday afternoon with my ex-fella (who makes an amazing non-ex-friend). Wednesday, FAEE and I did our Indian food dance (we always order the same thing but we always put up the appearance of studying the menu.) Tonight, these friends. Tomorrow, the Muppet and his Peaches are coming over. If it gets better than this, I can't tell you how. (Unless it would include Nemeria and the One being able to make it in)

Here's an announcement ~ I'm not a neat person. I'm clean ~ but I'm a slob. What does this have to do with my friends? These people don't expect every surface to be dusted. My desk will look like my desk always does. My bedroom door will be closed ~ and they will all know why (I tend to not put away laundry...). That pile of papers there in that corner of the kitchen? It'll be there tonight when they buzz. In fact, I think most of them would be hugely insulted if the place was cleaned within an inch of its life before they got here.

Here's another announcement ~ I'm painfully shy. Painfully. If I'm in my own territory and with people I feel comfortable around, you would never guess it in a million years. If I'm not ~ well, I'm painfully shy. I'm also an introvert. Seriously. And these people know that, too. When, at some point this evening, I sit back in my chair and just watch (as I undoubtedly will), smiling at having most of my favorite Bostonians in one place, no one will ask me if I'm okay. No one will force me back into the conversation until I am ready to rejoin. Taking the time to soak it all in and appreciate the moment is not only accepted, it's expected.

I believe a couple of things are happening here. First, as I am getting older (not that 36 is old, mind you; I'm not saying that!), I am coming to appreciate the people in my life more. Second, this is probably my last birthday in Boston for a while. And I've been celebrating it with these people for years now. Hell, one of them, I've been celebrating it with long enough that when we started, she was the only friend I had here and it was just the two of us.

Last year, I threw a huge, blow-out party at a club. I'm told I had a good time. ;) This year, I just want these people with me. A couple drinks, a cake, some munchies, and my favorite folks. It's going to be a momentous year. I can feel it. What better way to get it started than this?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Jaded said...

Next year, you'll have to come for dinner at the Jaded household.

Have fun!!

christine mtm said...

have a wonderful time. sorry i couldn't be there!

dondon009 said...

Tonite, for some strange reason, I am missing Boston and my Bostonian friends (who I still cherish).

Instead of having a birthday, you are indeed celebrating a birthweek!

Have a wonderful time, and looking forward to reading all about it!

Nemeria said...

I miss you!!!! I promise to visit before you move and we can go to Trapeze school there, since the one in NYC finishes the season this month. Have a great time tonight and tomorrow! Merlin & Isabella and the G-man send their love!

Anonymous said...

You know I would be there if I could...celebrate for me. And when you get back down this way, we will celebrate again...just because we can.

love & miss you~
the One in Va