Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Me 'n Joe Walsh

So, I'm driving home from the Cathouse today, listening to my favorite classic rock station and bopping along with the high-speed lane traffic. And who comes on but Good Ol' Joe reminding us that Life's Been Good to (Him) So Far.

First time I heard that song, I was 8. It was our last year in Austin. Brooke Olsen was my best friend. David Little was the love of my life. My father was my hero. Twenty was Old. We all struggled over if we would marry Arthur Fonzerelli or Vinnie Barbarino and live happily ever after. We were as likely to be caught singing anything by Joe Walsh as we were to be caught humming Delta Dawn or Colorado Rocky Mountain High. And even then, I couldn't wait to be 36.

Here I am at 36. It seems a lot younger than it did from the opposite side of 10, let me tell you. I don't have a driver and a limo. I don't own one home, let alone three. Brooke and David have long since become memories and Daddy became far too human to stay my hero ~ and it made me love, appreciate and respect him all the more. And you couldn't PAY ME to be 20 again and be that young. While I am still likely to be caught singing Joe Walsh songs, you can also find everything from Bare Naked Ladies to George Winston and Loreena McKinnit to Mozart and Bach in my c.d. collection as well. I didn't become Mrs. Fonzerelli or Mrs. Barbarino (oh thank God!) and my happily ever after didn't work out too well, either.

So, I sit here in my fabulous apartment, with my candles lit and my aforementioned George Winston, which will soon be followed by the also aforementioned Loreena McKinnit, playing. A drink on my computer next to me and the sound of the city coming through my window. And I realize Good Ol' Joe had it right. I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. Makes me look forward to the next 36.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee ~ if not Joe's particular stimulant of choice.

3 comments:

Jaded said...

No wonder you're a big, fancy real-life writer, and I'm just a blogging schlub. Eloquent as always, dear Pobble.

Twisted Lady said...

I wanted to sleep with, I mean MARRY Shaun Cassidy. Now he seems so gay, but not when you're 13.

Blue Dog Art said...

I saw George Winston at the Kennedy Center and he's great. I have a pretty eclectic music taste too.

Oh and my loves were Scott Baio and Michael J. Fox.