Pages

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Clarification

First, let me say that this post is not based on any of the comments I have received here. It is based on feedback I have received in other forums.

Re: The Neiman Marcus Christmas Book...

Yes, I get that I was lucky enough to grow up shopping there and that my mother still does.
Yes, I do dream big.
Yes, I do intend to spend thousands of dollars on quality furniture, luxurious linens, and table settings once Pauline starts making her mark.
Yes, I do want to own a large monstrosity of a house on the coast of Gloucester one day with about 14 more rooms than I need.
Yes, I do understand that not everyone who shops at Neimans and other high ends stores are selfish, socially unaware, or shallow.
Yes, I understand that there are people who shop at Target who are selfish, socially unware and shallow.
And yes, I understand that these people's $840 for an iPod carrying case has nothing to do with the defense budget and soldiers getting equipment they need.

And yes, I still feel the same way and that paying that much money for something that you probably won't be using in another year is outrageous. Especially considering how much need in the world there is.

You don't have to like it. I won't apologize for it.

Those are STILL Pobble Thoughts. And that and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Jaded said...

I just don't see the need to apologize for having something, as if somehow we don't deserve to have it because someone else doesn't. Some people have stuff, some don't...that will never change. I think it's less a matter of what you have than how you treat people. You can be just as much an asshole if you're poor as you can be when you're rich. Jealousy is so not a good color on anyone.

I worked hard, I made money...still do...I make $60 bucks an hour. I can make that because I trained hard and paid my proverbial dues. I don't feel guilty. I'm not "Neiman's Shopping Spree" rich, but I'm not hurting too terribly much. Having stuff isn't bad... treating people poorly because you have more stuff than they do IS. Assholes occupy every rung of the social ladder. Feel blessed with what you have. Dream big. Know that if you worked hard for it, you deserve it, even if it's a want rather than a need.

I still think that spending 840 bucks on an ipod carrying case is pissing away money, but hey, it's not my money to piss away in the first place. Just my opinion.

My word verification is gddegg... good egg. You are certainly that, and then some.

CrackerLilo said...

I think it's possible to balance enjoying one's money and using it responsibly. Of course you can only do that for yourself, and I wouldn't want to live in a society where the decision was made for you, but you can certainly post about the ridiculousness of an expensive object. L'Ailee and I recently saw this armless orange acrylic chair that we *may* have paid $15 for at Target and put outside....retailing for $1,300, according to the home design magazine we were reading!!! We hope to never be that sophisticated, even if we could afford a $1,300 chair.

And I dream big too, including of a house that accommodates both her "makes Blade Runner look warm and cozy" taste and my love for bright and eclectic decor.

BostonPobble said...

And I would never ask someone to apologize for having something and do deeply apologize if it came out that way! My mother is quite comfortable financially, shops at Neimans AND donates time, money and energy to the world. As an adult, I have refused to apologize for the fact that my family had money to spend. I LOVE things. I love pretty, funky, unusual things. And conservative, sedate, elegant things. I have had a lot of them and hope to have a lot more. If I had that 1.5 million, I'd probably buy Elton John for the night! It was more about a mindset, an analogy for a society that seems to put more emphasis on Having Things than taking care of things ~ including our planet, ourselves and each other. For the people who can do both ~ without having it dictated to them by Big Brother (wouldn't THAT be scary? so true, Cracker!), more power to them. With any luck, Pauline and I will fall into that catagory, too! :D

christine mtm said...

giving away should always be in proportion to what you have. i know you and i know that you will always give in proportion. and that is just one more reason why i respect the hell out of you.

dondon009 said...

When I lived in Bodton, I was a master technician working for a sub contractor on the Trident and MX missle systems... Made a lot of money. The job was OK.
When I moved to Florida, I went into social services... working with developmentally disabled adults. Making very little money. I have never been happier.

As for the IPod carrying case, I have no clue what an IPod is!
That must mean I don't need one.