Pages

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Looking Around

It's raining. It's raining and it's muggy and it's very un-autumn-ish. I have cramps that go from my chin to my knees. So, I grabbed my smokes and went outside ~ pissy and ready to humph at the world. Here's what I saw:

1. An old man (80+) with a little girl (>10). He was holding the umbrella. She was skipping and splashing in the puddles. They were laughing.

2. Two (apparent) strangers, one trying desperately to parallel park. The other walking by. The one walking by stopped, gave the driver hand directions so she didn't slam into the car behind her, and went on with a friendly wave once she was set.

3. A young woman out for ~ and finishing up ~ a run. Who, when it came time to stop, stretched her arms wide, leaned her head back a grinned into the rain.

4. The mailman help my neighbor get her baby, the stroller, her purse, the diaper bag and another bag down her steps.

5. Reddish-brown leaves blowing in the wind, being carried with the rain.

Mind you, the rain didn't stop. Autumnal weather didn't suddenly sweep in. And my cramps are thinking about leasing another body because mine is running out of room for their expansion plans. It would have been very easy for me to be out there, under my umbrella, humphing at the world. There were certainly many other humph-worthy things to focus on. God, I'm glad I didn't.

I don't try to be pollyanna. I believe completely in feeling whatever we are feeling ~ if it's being happy or humphing. And yet, when the Universe innudates us with such unexpected beauty...it's just too damn hard to try and stay humphing in light of that. I hope I remember this next time, too. Because there will be a next time because I do feel all my emotions so I get humph-y. But I hope, in the midst of the humphing, I will look around. Look and at least be willing to see beauty that's there.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

2 comments:

dondon009 said...

The kindness of strangers... what a wonderful thing!

The wonders of the seasons... how I miss the colors of Autumn!

How sad that some, when they spend that buck fifty "never take the time to smell the coffee"!

"Smile" young lady. A whole new universe if about to embrace you; and I want to be in line at that first book signing.

Nemeria said...

The parking one reminds me of the time I came out of dance class to find my car surrounded by motorcycles. And these weren't no dirt bikes! I was terrified to try to move the car and was nearly in tears when a couple, walking by on the sidewalk, took one look at my predicament and each stood at either end of my car and helped guide me out so I wouldn't clip one of the bikes and cause a chain reaction all down the street. (It would have been funny in a movie but not in real life!)

It's nice to know that you can (sometimes) depend on the kindness of strangers.

('cuz I obviously couldn't count on the common sense of the the two bikers who felt it was a good idea to park within 5 inches of both my front and back bumpers!)