Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Finally Autumn

Yesterday, I made the drive from Boston to the Lovely Cats's (with a detour to check out an apartment in Worcester) and the leaves are finally changing and there is a noticable bite in the air, even during the day. We are missing the firey orange and the blazng reds this year ~ mostly we have rusts and yellows. But this is the thing about the yellows of New England as opposed to the yellow of Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, or Colorado (the other places I have spent autumn)...the yellow of New England isn't just a tame, bland yellow. It's a warm yellow, the yellow of a house lit by firelight, the yellow of gold sparking in bright in sunlight.

It invites you in from the dark afternoon and asks you if you want a cup of cocoa. It hints at brisk days under the pale autumn sun, playing with friends. It whispers of cold nights in front of a fireplace, snuggled in your favorite sweater.

Autumn and all its gifts has been here for a few weeks now. It has been hard to recognize it. Now, with the warmth of the yellows and rusts blowing in a brisk wind, it's impossible to miss.

Those are Pobbble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee ~ or hot cider!

5 comments:

christine mtm said...

it is beautiful up here, isn't it?

Jaded said...

Yes, I WOULD like a cup of hot cocoa. You should both come over and have some with me. I've decided.

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, you make that sound so pretty!

We've got a teasing little taste of it in Central Park, but nothing like New England. I have to see it.

dondon009 said...

Have I ever mentioned that I love New England in the fall?

Have I ever mentioned that I love Boston?

Have I ever mentioned that I love visiting this blog?

Dreamer said...

Lucky...it looks like deadness down here...It's like winter beats the crap out of Autumn and takes its place in seasons. Causing us to only have Winter and Summer down here.