Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Out My Window

This morning, I was sitting at my window and I stopped and just looked. Yesterday it snowed. Yep. Snow. On October 29th. Ah, New England... Today, there is not a cloud in the sky and, at 8:30, is already warmer than it was all day yesterday. It's not Warm ~ don't get me wrong. But nor is it Cold, the way it was yesterday. It is a perfect autumn day. Ah, New England...

As I stopped and looked at the blue sky, the green trees, and the red brick of the buildings around me, a magnificent blue jay swooped down and landed in the tree closest to my window. He and I stared at each other for a moment before he cocked his head and flew away. While I was still wondering at that, a large, black ... crow? I assume...came and perched in the exact same spot. We also examined each other a moment. His/Her black eyes stared into mine what felt like a full minute ~ which means it was probably 6 or 7 seconds because of that strange thing time can do ~ before blinking once and taking off, just as the jay had done.

When I looked back out at the world, everything seemed a little brighter, a little bolder. The blue sky was deeper; the green trees, more lush; the red brick, stronger and more stately. Now, I admit, I don't know much about animals or what they portend. Perhaps there is someone reading this (CrackerLilo? Appsrus?) thinking "Oh No! Pobble, go back to bed and stay there until the horrible thing passes!" Perhaps there is someone reading this (CrackerLilo? Appsrus?) thinking "Oh Pobble! You lucky woman! What a blessing to have been visited by these two birds at once!" And perhaps being visited by a jay and a crow means nothing in particular. (Sometimes the lesson is that there is no lesson...) Still, these two beautiful creatures brightened my morning ~ literally.

And so, regardless of what they are "supposed" to portend, that's the energy I will carry with me today. The energy of these two beautiful, regal beings who stopped by to wish me a good day and left me one in their wake. May you have one as well.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

8 comments:

dondon009 said...

You have no clue how you have helped me today!

This week, when my fellow workers began talking about snow in Boston, I began to cry... thinking, "JR is going to be cold buried under all that snow!" They were speechless..... whan one finally said, "it's only a body"... and I know that, but it's HIS body, dammit!

Through your words, I could see a much brighter day, an autumn as I remember autumn. Things will get better......

Thanks!

I was going to email you this, but I can't locate your email address...

Jaded said...

Dear Pobble,

Please be my friend and come visit me and stuff. I think you're cool, smart, funny and insightful.

The End.

Love,
Jaded

Twisted Lady said...

Those birds were saying "BYE!" On their way to Florida to eat seeds out of my feeder. Looking in my window with little hungry bird eyes.

CrackerLilo said...

Perhaps there is someone reading this (CrackerLilo? Appsrus?) thinking "Oh Pobble! You lucky woman! What a blessing to have been visited by these two birds at once!"

That's much more like my reaction! :-)

I love the duality--the jay and the crow--so close to Samhain. In every end a beginning, and in every beginning an end...

What a beautiful day you had. Thanks so much for sharing it.

And how was your Samhain? I know how psyched you were about hosting it! :-)

dondon009 said...

Where is the Pobble when we are having an anxiety attack this evening for lack of Pobble Thoughts....... You are missed, sweet lady!

dondon009 said...

Anne Rice has found Jesus......

Somehow, I believe she's found a new avenue to make additional tons of CASH...... and that depresses me!

Rose said...

That was so very positive. Thank you.

Jaded said...

Just checking in because I haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you're alright. Still wanna try to get together when you're down here in a few weeks?