Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I Can't Believe I'm Posting This

How scary is this?????

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime. It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity. In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess. This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act
. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison. By Declan McCullagh -->Published: January 9, 2006


But you know...

I'm going to drive my blog 56 miles an hour in the passing lane. I'm going to pick my blog's nose in public. At a restaurant. My blog is going to speak unnecessarily loudly while on a cell phone. My blog and I are going to berate the middle man because we don't have the balls to approach the supervisor when something doesn't go our way. We're going to leave our carts on one side of the supermarket aisle and stretch across to the other. We are then going to make faces at people who want to get by us. We're going to stop and talk to each other while my blog ties its shoe Right Smack In The Middle of pedestrian traffic flow. We're announcing the ending of movies to the people waiting to get in.

Now, if I truly had balls, this post would have been not only annoying but offensive. As it is, apparently I only have blog balls. Or only my blog has balls. Or something. The point is, free speech is becoming far less free. And yeah, don't let the jokes above fool you ~ that's one I'll go to jail for.

So how about this: I do not believe "the welfare mother" stereotype exists anywhere but in Hollywood and on television. George Bush is not evil because he isn't smart enough to be evil. The military, the police and the firefighters are brave men and women who the country couldn't do without ~ and they aren't saints or gods and some of them are even total assholes because being willing to serve and protect doesn't guarantee you're a good person. Sometimes it just means you want to wear a gun or a beret or play with fire and use your job title to get laid. This goes for Green Berets and Rangers, too. Fort Bragg is a perpetual state of adolescence. By GOD I think Benjamin Franklin had it right when he said anyone who would give up freedom for security deserves neither freedom nor security. And I also believe the United States is becoming more and more fascist and the vast majority of the country is too blind or too sheep-like to even Notice let alone care. I haven't said the Pledge of Allegiance since I was in the 11th grade because I refuse to pledge my allegiance to a piece of cloth. I am the strongest, most committed, most passionate Patriot I know. I'm not sure Al Gore could have handled Sept. 11 had he been president.

There. Annoyed yet? Good. Somebody call a fucking cop.

Those are Pobble Thoughts ~ and no, you cannot have my name. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

8 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

Terrific!

And you ain't goin' nowhere, because so far, I don't think you've annoyed anybody. :-)

This won't stand up--I hope.

sttropezbutler said...

BRILLIANT.

STB

I am posting a link to your blog on my blog today!

nancy =) said...

fabulous words, bp...right on!!

i'm right behind you, on all of it...

i keep thinking to myself SOMETHING is going to wake these sheep up...i hate to think it's gonna take losing roe v wade, but maybe that will be the only thing to do it...

thanks for this post...

peace...

~ n

Rose said...

I love your your post and trust me you have said a mouth full. More power to you! Very intersting and great post...

christine mtm said...

let's all become anonymous and really piss bush off.

Jaded said...

I absolutely adore, respect, admire and love you!!!

dondon009 said...

WOW!

I am so impressed......

It's just all getting so damned scary.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I am naive, but I do believe in free speech and I believe in ownership of that speech. It seems to be that those who want to post anonymously lack the courage to believe that our free speech belief system is going to protect the individual.

I guess I see those who incite fear and mistrust in the shadows of anonymity should either stand up and be counted or sit down and sit down and a have a can of ShutTheHeckUp.

But that is me, da computer geek who sees as logic and ones and zeros.