Pages

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Politcal Correctness Run Amok

I'm not terribly politically correct. In fact, I am often accused of being downright politically incorrect. I was once introduced as being related to "Susan and the Weenie by birth." I bit back the retort that I looked pretty good to have kids that old ~ but it was a near thing, I admit.

All that being said, I do believe words are important and do indeed help define our realities. For years, I have been a staunch proponent of using "and" more often than "but." "But" in case you've never realized, pretty much negates what was said ahead of it. "And" on the other hand, allows both things to be true. Good stuff. The words "right", "wrong", "always" and "never" have bothered me for a long time as well. Whose job is it to say what is "right" and "wrong" anyway? And I learned a long time ago that using "never" and "always" is guaranteed to bring the exception to rule down upon my head in a really, really ugly way. Not terribly fond of "should", "ought" or "have to." So, I do recognize the importance of words. Still...sometimes it gets silly in my opinion. As in the abovementioned case where I was introduced as being related to my parents by birth. Or...

I have recently been informed
that I shouldn't use the word "not." Excuse me, I should choose to refrain from using the word "not." "Not" apparently, introduces too much negativity into the world and we should all put more positivity into the world. Therefore, we are no longer allowed to say "I'd rather not have dessert tonight, thank you." We are to say "I'm choosing to skip dessert tonight, thank you." The statement "They did not discriminate."...? Nope. Can't use it. We are to say "They chose diversity." (That's an actual quote.)

Instead of "I'm just not interested in dating you" it's going to be...what? How do I am I supposed to put a positive spin on that? Perhaps "I'm choosing to wait to date someone who I am actually interested in." Yeah...that's kind, loving and positive.

*sigh*

Is it just me? Or not? ;)

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

christine mtm said...

ahh...semantics... gotta love it... NOT

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

...or you could just follow my lead, take the chicken-y way out, not answer the phone, and hide behind the toilet when the doorbell rings.

Oh, that was the dating issue. The subject was political correctness.

I agree with you wholeheartedly; although there's some credibility to the PC issue on some plains, I sometimes have to wonder about the battles people choose to commit themselves to. All of the crap going on in the world, and we're picketing "not"?

Knock yourself out, I say. I have stuff to do.

dondon009 said...

Oh dear, you're making me think... which is an incredible burden at the moment.

I've never been overly concerned about what is politically correct, although at times maybe I should be; but I'm not.... did that just make sense?

Excuse me while I take my medication!

OMG my word verification is
lympdyck! arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh

CrackerLilo said...

Who's the no-life-havin', tofu-fartin', sub-idiotic waste of atoms who told you *that*?

I bet they'd like *my* words... ;-)

Words do mean things--and you just wrote a book about 'em--but if you look at 1984, they wanted to clean up minds as well as language. I fight it from left and right.

And DonDon--LOL at your word verification!!!

BostonPobble said...

Oh Cracker! ROFLMAO! If you only knew. Tears streaming down my face. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I needed that on so many levels tonight. In fact, between that, hiding behind the toliet at the sound of the doorbell and poor, poor DonDon, this was one of the best set of comments I've received yet. And Cats, of course. Always, always, always and Cats. Thanks for the laugh, y'all. Your timing is brilliant. All of you.

Dreamer said...

Oo...political correctness...darling, we need to talk to each other because I am going to do a soapbox and I wish to do it on Political Correctness; How Wrong is It? I've got "Merry Christmas" and "Black/White" down yet I am having trouble thinking of more...help?