Pages

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Live to Work, Work to Live (Holy Cow! This Got Long...)

First, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for you outpouring of support and affection. I thank you. My credit card companies thank you. My FAEE thanks you. Thank You. It is pretty fucking cool, ain't it? And if I'm this over the moon about a nonfiction SAT/GRE book, can you imagine what I'm going to be like come fall when the novel comes out????? That noise you will hear, wherever you are, is the scream of the Pobble when she gets her first copy. But I digress (I know; you are shocked....)

To the body of the blog: I have always been a work to live type o'gal. Work pays the bills, keeps a roof over your head, gives you the cash you need in order to go do the fun stuff. The living part. Do your job, do it to the best of your ability, just don't forget what's important.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have also been ~ and continue to be ~ a believer in and proponent of doing what you love. Life is too damn short to spend 40+ hours a week doing something you hate. Even if you can't find a job you love right now, at least find one you don't hate until you can find one you love.

Here's what's changing ~ I love to write. I love to write so much that a day without writing doesn't feel like a day off. It makes me grumpy. Out of sorts. Itchy to get back to my computer or my composition books or my notepads or whatever. Over Christmas while I was with the Lovely Cats, I had to buy a comp book. I had decided to take the week completely off. It was miserable. I was miserable. I bought a comp book and spent an hour writing every night before bed. Slept like a baby.

I'm not used to this. I'm not used to loving something this much. Even when I'm hating it (if seniors in high school don't know this word then they shouldn't be going to college anyway! good god, how many definitions can the word "plumb" have anyway? sweet jesus ~ I've defined how few words in the last fucking hour????) I'm loving it. It's a little scary, actually. All the excuses are gone.

*POOF*

I'm beginning to think it's okay though. Suddenly, I'm losing weight without trying, I'm down to less than a pack of smokes a day, and I don't mind not spending money. Yeah. It's scary ~ and it's good.

Now, some business before coffee. It's the Q&A portion of today's post.

1. When does the book ship? Can I/my child/my students use it for the SATs this school year?

I hate this answer. The book will not be on the shelves until August. Which is a damn good thing for me considering it's still on my computer and not even completed yet but really sucks if you/your child/your students are taking the SATs or GREs this year.

2. Great. What the hell do I/my kid/my students do now, Pobble?????

In researching this book, I have been very impressed with Barron's guide books. They are comprehensive and clear and have a nice way of explaining things. Also, check out Words You Should Know in High School. It is also published by Adams Media and is the third book in the series. No, I didn't write it. No, I don't get anything from plugging either of these books. Yes, I think you/your kid/your students will find them helpful. (Just remember, once you/your kid/your students get into college, another word book could come in handy as well. College profs like erudite students... Okay, shameless plug number 47 is over.)

3. Are you P.T. Shank?

Yes...and no. I am indeed the author of the book. However, for those of you who are new to the blog, that's not my name. That's my grandmother's married name. I'm way too private a person to throw my name out there for all to see and know. Have you checked out my avatar? It's a freakin' subway map. Online I go by Pobble. My name is my own. While I don't hide (I mean, somebody somewhere ~ Mr. Jaded, perhaps :) ~ can find my info off this blog if they know enough about computers), I do like privacy.

And, before anyone asks, no, this blog will not become subtitled The Pobble's New Books and Where to Buy Them. I will continue ramble about ... whatever. Whatever just happens to be about the Pobble's new book (and where to buy it!;)) right now.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

christine mtm said...

who bought you the comp book?!?

just kidding... i'm so very very happy for you as you well should know by now.

BostonPobble said...

Note to Readers: The Lovely Cats paid for the comp book. ;)

Jaded said...

Yep, Mr. Jaded could prolly find all sorts of things... he's a geek like that, lol.

I am absolutely a believer in the idea that if you follow your true passion in life, the money will follow. Oh, it may not be mountains o' cash, but it will be enough on which to live nicely. When I stopped performing for a living, I taught school (even SAT Prep) and I hated every second of it. Not only did I hate the job, but my entire life suffered. It became such an albatros that it infected every aspect of my life in such a negative way. When I finally decided to just take that leap of faith and start my current business, even though I didn't make much at the start, I was unbelievably happy, as though a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. It took about a year for things to become financially successful, and now, well, I do pretty well. But the emotional reward far outweighs the financial reward in more ways than I can even articulate.

Artists are a different breed of people. Most people are not defined by what they do. Mr. Jaded really enjoys his job, but at the end of the day, he comes home and the job stays behind. Unless, of course, he gets calls in the middle of the night, but that's a whole different matter. I digress. I identify myself in the grand scheme of things by what I do. I am a musician, I am an artist, I am creative. Those things don't leave me at the end of the work day. I am defined by those things, which brings me great comfort and stability. I do what I do because it's who I am as a human being. It's so much more than just liking what I do. Make sense?

I'm so happy for you, Pobble. I imagine that seeing your book on Amazon is akin to standing on stage in front of 8 thousand people as they give you a standing ovation. It's the same kind of success... being rewarded for sharing part of who you are with the world.

You are an artist, my friend, whether you write educational material or the great American novel. I so get it.

sttropezbutler said...

God I love success!

This is just the best!

STB

dondon009 said...

I'll be first in line for the signing of your first novel; and I can say "I knew her when" the first time you appear on Oprah.

What a blessing to love what we do and get paid for doing it!