Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Magnificence

My friend is a black belt. As of tonight, a lifelong dream has become a reality. I was honored enough to witness it. When she was presented with her belt and sword, I wept. I know what this has meant to her. And we, her family and friends, gathered to watch.

What I saw was strength, beauty, dedication and power personified. Sure, she did cool stuff. She disarmed people, fought off three "attackers", flipped guys three times her size. Even broke through four boards. And I saw all that.

But I also saw magnificence. She shone. The light around her glowed. Her energy was a sparking, tangible thing. This indomitable creature that is my friend.

Last night, I had composed another post. Its title was "And I Missed It." See, I got the nights confused. I thought the test was last night. Knowing how bad I am with directions (and dear Lord, am I bad with directions!), I got to the part of town two hours early. And proceeded to drive around, unable to find the dojo for two whole hours. I drove back to Worcester in tears.

When I called her to leave a message, she answered. I burst into more tears. We arranged for me to meet at her's today (which I can get to blindfolded if necessary) so we could go over together. All afternoon, she kepty saying "I feel so bad you wasted yesterday afternoon." I couldn't make her understand how grateful I was for that "wasted" afternoon. It taught me I couldn't find it. It allowed us to make other arrangements. It allowed me to see her earn her black belt. No "wasted" afternoon has ever been better spent.

I am proud of her. I am honored she considers me one of her closest friends. She is magnificent. She always has been. Now, she's a black belt, too.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

sttropezbutler said...

I love it when stuff works.

How wonderful.

STB

Jaded said...

What a blessing you are.

dondon009 said...

Karma, my dear......

You were meant to be there and share in this amazing accomplishment!

I hope to experience that joy when you autograph your first novel "To my dear friend, DON"!

CrackerLilo said...

How terrific that you could see it. Seeing someone at the top of their game is such a pleasure. And seeing a familiar face cheering you on is a pleasure, too.

Waddie G. said...

what if I don't like coffee??? LOL

Rose said...

You are a good friend to have and to cherish.

Trudy Booty Scooty said...

What a sweet tribute to your friend. :)