Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2006

When People Try to Help

ARGH! Yesterday, I went to my wonderful salon for a day of being pampered. The woman doing my hair took longer than expected and did more than I had originally made my appointment for. The time and the cost took me by surprise because she hadn't told me what she was doing was going to cost more. Call me naive but I have no idea what a double process hair coloring costs. Although I do now!

So, the woman who does my manicures and I are friends outside of the salon as well as client/manicurist. This morning on the phone, she was asking me what was going on, why it was taking so long, stuff like that. And so I told my friend what had happened. About 20 minutes later, I get a call back from the salon saying the owner had "passed along my message from (my friend) and I had $125 of services coming back to me."

Wait. What?

What?

What message? To the owner???

Suddenly, what I thought was talking ~ okay, complaining ~ to a friend has become a much bigger deal. I love my color and my cut. The price threw me, yeah. But it looks great. Also, I love being able to stop in there, be welcome, say "hi" and have everyone be comfortable. If it had been a big deal, I would have dealt with it.

So what the hell do I do now?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Twisted Lady said...

Ooohhh, that's a oogy situation. Do you always get the same girl? If so, next time, just rave about how much you liked it. Really, she should have told you it would be more $, there are lots of ways to convey the message. No one likes surprises at the check out desk.

Anonymous said...

If you always have the same stylist, let her know PERSONALLY that you didn't call and complain or "tattle" or whatever. But DO let her know from now and forward, you want her to make you aware of extra services and their prices before she begins performing them. If you aren't made aware, I don't think you should be finacially obligated. (I sound kinda like I know what I'm talking about!) In other words, tell her if she screws you again, you'll screw her at point of payment...not to mention, tip.

$125?!?!?!? Honey, that hair color should put itself in your hair, time itself, rinse itself, dry and style your hair FOR you. I know, I know...I'm in Lynchburg. I know. Hey...I get a cut for $13 and do my own color for $5.95/box every 8-10 weeks!

Love & Miss You!
The One in VA

Jaded said...

If it really bothers you, you might call the manager and tell her that there's been a misunderstanding. Yes, you were shocked at the cost since you hadn't planned on it being as high as it was, but that you are totally satisfied with the services you received that day. You could tell her that you were more than happy to pay the extra money because you love the end result, but that in the future, the stylists should make the clients aware of the increased fees for particular services. You could thank her for her generosity but that it's certainly not necessary, and you'll be back for more services in the future, regardless.

Rose said...

I totally agree with Jaded. Just ask your stylist in the future to let you know the cost of the services. Then tell her you really love the style, the cost was not planned. She'll understand.