Pages

Friday, March 03, 2006

INXS?

My musical tastes have always been eclectic. I admit it. I love everything from bubblegum (think the Archies ~ seriously Bubblegum) to hard rock; classical to house; international where I have no clue what language they are singing in let alone what they are singing to 80s pop where I know the language but the words still don't make sense (have you listened to some of those songs????). Loreena McKinnit and Metallica, thank you very much. And, of course, my beloved big band/swing. However, my current favorite c.d. has taken even me by surprise.

Even during the 90s when they were at their pinnacle, I wasn't a huge INXS fan. Their stuff was okay. I wouldn't change the station when their music came on but I never bought a single tape either. I can't tell you the name of the original lead singer although I do know he committed suicide. And you now know everything I have known about INXS up until now.

Several weeks ago, the Lovely Cats gave me the new INXS c.d. I'm hooked. I'm hooked like I was hooked when I first heard AC/DC scream. Like I was hooked the first time I heard Frank croon. Like the first time I heard Vivaldi soar. And I can't tell you why (although I'm sure Jaded would tell you it's because of the new singer, J.D. ... Someone.)

I've learned that, even when I'm shocked by something, I should just roll with it. Good things often come unexpectedly and not giving into them because they are new or they "aren't me" doesn't serve me. So, I'm rolling with it. And letting myself listen to this c.d. as often as I want ~ although I'm sure the puppies are a little tired of it by now. But hey, I'm the one with opposable thumbs so I get to make the rules around the house!

At least I still can't tell you what the lead singer's name is. I'm taking comfort in that fact.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Jaded said...

JD Fortune. Say it. Say it right out loud, and say it with the same school girl lust you might have felt for the rocker du jour when you were in high school. The man is the sexiest thing I have ever seen, and his voice matches. I have two words to prove my point : Pretty Vegas. Period. End of sentence.

I think the key to the new INXS is just that they took the old formula that worked for them all along and infused a bit of the new, hip stuff into it. So, it's a bit nostalgic and still very current and cool. Oh, and there IS JD. ***big dreamy sigh***

And I'm not even ashamed. So there.

dondon009 said...

May I suggest Andrea Bocelli, "Romanza" as a possible CD purchase?

Somehow, I think you would enjoy it.

BTW... thanks for the reminder that there was a time when we played "tapes" instead of CD's. I can't remember the last time I owned a tape!

HUGS!

Nemeria said...

I was thinking about you today when I was listening to Nellie McKay. Have you heard her? I think you'd like her. She does a bit of everything.

christine mtm said...

ahh, rmember all those tapes we made for each other?

glad you like it. we love it too.

sttropezbutler said...

OH God...OH God...

It is true. I was one of 12 people who watched INXS RockStar...the reality show where the boys chose the new lead singer...whatever his name is.

I haven't run out to buy the CD, (but then I haven't run out to buy a CD in years) cause my "candidate" didn't win!

STB