Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Recap

A couple years ago, I learned just how easy Thanksgiving can be. Last year, I learned just how easy Christmas can be. Eventually, I may get used to holidays that are this laid back, but for now, it continues to surprise, as well as delight, me. Guess what kind of a day it was around here yesterday? At least we showered. That counts for something, doesn't it?

I was hoping to find a late-season pumpkin. Instead, I ended up with the very last can (without exaggeration)
of pumpkin puree from any of the three stores where we shop. *whew*

My grandmother's dressing. I was pleased to learn this was made at the Lovely Cats' house, as well.
Nice to have passed along a tradition.

See my little pot there in the middle? No?

Here it is, front and center
Some of my warmest memories of my mother are around Thanksgiving. Somewhere along the line, it became the holiday I hosted. When my mother was in my home, she taught me hands on, but still allowed me to be the hostess. When she wasn't with me in the kitchen, she was the one I would call to talk through the timing of the day to ensure everything hit the table at the same time. She taught me the quick wash. To start the day with a clean kitchen, an empty dishwasher, and a new trashbag. To clean after every wave of cooking, so that each wave was as organized as the one before it. That food made from love will always taste better than food made from a recipe. To enjoy myself as much as my guests do.

They are good lessons. They are better memories. And yesterday just added to list of happy holidays.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

0 comments: