Pages

Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Week in a Vacuum

I had five days with my Dear One. They were wonderful. There was lots ~ lots ~ of culture shock. Partly it was country mouse/city mouse stuff. Partly it was Southern v. New England stuff. He opens doors. He helps with packages. He says "ma'am" and "sir" to everyone. Everyone. Even people close to his age. Even to the Muppet and Peaches. I couldn't quite make him understand that he was meeting my friends as my friend ~ therefore their equal. And he couldn't quite understand why I would want him to be "rude" to them if they were my friends.

It was a week of firsts. His first 2-person, $100 dinner. His first cab ride. His first lobster. His first time in the audience as an adult, not one of the school kids. His first glass elevator. He enjoys glazed duck. Not so much lobster. Newbury Comics on Newbury Street was cool; Harris Comics in Salem was cooler.

The Boston Public Library, the price of parking and crossing the street while dodging traffic are all a little intimidating. The Pobble in her element rather than in Santa Fe or online is, perhaps, a little intimidating as well. But he may not be willing to admit to that one. ;)

Last night, we watched a movie and the dvd extras. While we were watching the extras, I fell asleep. In the guestroom. On the futon. When I woke up, every light in my apartment was off, the door was locked, the dogs were on the futon with me and he was asleep...on the couch. He refused to just stretch out next to me, to wake me up, or to climb in my bed.

Tonight, the apartment is a little too quiet. Just a little too big. There will be no bedtime hug, no reason to keep an ear out for a sleepless friend. Even the doggies keep going to the guest room and looking in, as if they are expecting my Dear One to be in there. Still, plans are already being made for next year's trip. And I'm already looking forward to getting my arms around him again.

I'm also looking forward to a long, hot bath and my sexy pajamas tonight, too, though. Putting my life on hold is fun but it's always nice to get back to it as well. And I know my Dear One understands.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Dreamer said...

It sounds wonderful and yes most of us down here are pretty much like that, that's why my mother says she is glad we live down here and not in N.D. or anywhere like that.

Also, I know I'm not Shortman (Dear One, whatever) but don't get to comfortable, I plan on visiting you after my 18th.

CrackerLilo said...

Awwwww... :-)

Better to err on the side of politeness than rudeness, I think.

And I'm glad the flooding didn't affect you!

dondon009 said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time....... and I am so glad you're back!

sttropezbutler said...

I love it when a good time was had by all!

STB

Jaded said...

I'm glad it was all you'd hoped it would be.

Welcome back!

xoxox

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

It sounds like a beautiful friendship, and a nice week. The culture shock issues were interesting and exciting.
Glad you're back; I'm always happy to see your name highlighted in bloglines. "Yayyyy!"