Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Bye, Bye Butterflies

Butterfly Boy just wants to be friends. Lots of heartbreak from being in the Navy (leave it to me to fall for a former Squid; even when I think they're accountants, there's military in there somewhere)... Long distance relationships that have ended badly...He's too guarded...We're great friends...I am valued...

It's interesting. I have been on the other side of this so often. I realize how carefully he chose his words. How delicately he chose to tread. I appreciate the care he took with me. Having been in his shoes before, I know it's not easy and I recognize when it's done well. He did it as well as it could have been done.

So I think I do have a friend. And, if his words were genuine (as I think ~ hope ~ they were) and not just platitudes, a pretty good one at that. Time will tell.

As the Divine M puts it, at least I can take solace in the fact that I have met my male counterpart in terms of being wary and guarded. Of course, it would have been nice had the person I risked lowering the guards for had been able to risk lowering his for me ~ but I'm selfish that way. :) The fact that he's right only helps so much. Long distance relationships, when neither one is able to relocate, end badly. Hell, my first instinct had been to simply Dear John him instead of asking him if what I was feeling was mututal because of the distance. Let's face it ~ he's scared the hell out of me. So I am proud of both of us for being so courageous. Me for asking and not just running. Him for answering ~ and still not running.


I didn't, however, have the courage to ask if things would be different if we were closer. Some questions, I don't want the answers to.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

8 comments:

Nemeria said...

*Sigh*

ZooooM said...

Even in the not fun situations you manage to pull some wonderful insight and weave it into a great post.

Some day the butterflies will work out. I know they will.

Jaded said...

Ok so maybe he wasn't actually Butterfly Boy, but rather, Caterpillar Boy. Sure, he could turn into a Butterfly one day, but he's not quite there yet. Now that you know you're lookin' for a Butterfly, make sure you carry a big net!

xoxox

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

Find peace in honesty until you find what you need...

CrackerLilo said...

Sorry about that.

Well, friends are a good thing, too.

And I like what Jaded said about "caterpillar boy." :-)

dondon009 said...

Admire the butterfly for its' beauty but remember, they will soon fly away!

Dreamer said...

Just as soon as a butterfly will fly away another will come back.

There are many butterflies in the world!

Krystal said...

Sorry, Pobble...