Pages

Saturday, July 15, 2006

A Musical Interkude

Ass-Kicking Rock and Roll ~ After unknown number of trips to visit the Lovely Cats in Connecticut, I finally have found the radio stations to get me there. 104.1 WBCN from Boston gets me to I84 West with Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Ranconteurs, Chili Peppers...you get the idea. At the 84 exit, I pick up 106.9 out of Hartford. They bring on the metal. Then there's AC/DC and its ilk out of New Haven once I get off 84 from 99.1. The drive just got a hell of a lot more fun.

Muzak ~ As a general rule, I'm not much of an outdoorsy type o'gal. Because of this, I tend not to pay all that close attention to the change of season outside of a religious context. Logistically, summer is simply the time of year I switch out my black and earth-tone velvets and cashmeres for black and earth-tone cottons and linens. And even when I worked outside the home, I tended to take my vacations in autumn. So, imagine my surpise when I stopped at the rest area on the Pike on the way to the Lovely Cats' only to discover the place packed with people on their roadtrips and family vacations. In my rest area. That wasn't the biggest shock, though. The biggest shock was the musak. Apparently, during summertime, the Pike pipes bad, pseudo-calming music into the women's room. They might pipe it into the men's room as well. I don't know; I didn't check. However, walking into the rest area with AFI's Miss Murder in my head and switching to something that would have been too sweet for John Tesch was enough to strip my gears handily.

Girl Pop ~ Okay, so I don't know the official name of this type of music. Work with me. The Princess Kitten informed me that her favorite rock star was Hilary Duff. Being a good aunt, I managed not to heave right there in her lovely lavender room, nor lecture her on the difference between rock and ... whatever it is Hilary sings. Instead, I made slight corrections to her "rock moves" (tuck the thumb in when you are making that sign ~ again, whatever it is ~ with your fingers. Think devil horns, not ASL "I love you.") She is seven. In five more years, I'm introducing her to AC/DC. I'm the outrageous aunt. That's my job.

Hip-Hop ~ The purpose of today's drive was to see the Princess Kitten's dance recital. Wow. Eleven 6, 7 and 8 year olds all onstage, all listening to the same music, all watching the same teacher do the same moves...and not a one of them doing anything remotely like the child next to them. Looking with our hearts, these little ones were fly! Looking with our eyes ~ well, that was still worth the drive, just for different reasons. If you have never seen this, I highly recommend it.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

nRT said...

there is nothing like BCN to get you through a road trip.
hope all is well

Jaded said...

Rockstar:Supernova. There are a few exceptionally hot men singing rock and metal. None are JD hot, but hot none the less.

I long for the day I can see Jadette dance to the beat of her own drummer whilst dressed up like a fairy cupcake.

Tai said...

"She is seven. In five more years, I'm introducing her to AC/DC. I'm the outrageous aunt. That's my job."

LOL!

I'm forever saying things like to my friends with children...except I'm planning on teaching them how to drive TAI style, too!

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

Rock On outrageous Aunt!!!