Pages

Monday, July 31, 2006

The Boggart in my Cupboard

If you know the Harry Potter series, you understand the title of this post. If you don't (shame on you!), a boggart is a creature that takes the form of whatever its victims fear most, thus incapacitating the person completely. The counter to it is to think of something funny to turn the boggart into and shout Riddikulus! My boggart would appear something like this:





Screaming at me that, in spite of the city apartment, in spite of the streak, the tatt, the cool clothes, the cocky attitude, the high heels...the truth is I am actually banished to suburbia where I must return to being a housewife, wear sweater sets, loafers and be in bed by eleven o'clock every evening. Turn everything in; you're not allowed to live the cool life you want and have built. Someone in middle management lost a memo and got you confused with another woman and now she wants her life back.

Don't get me wrong. I am not, in any way, criticizing people who live that way. For some, it is the ideal and living my life would make them miserable. I do not wish that on anyone. It just isn't my life. Or, at least, not one I can live for very long. It's just that every now and then, I'm just a little...shocked...that it has all come together so well. That's when I start looking for that boggart.

Riddikulus!




HA!


Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

kimber said...

I, too, fear the inner suburban housewife that lurks in the shadows of my psyche --I try to keep her chained up and heavily sedated. May our inner housewives never escape. :)

ZooooM said...

Sweater sets. I actually shivered when you said that. And I *eek* own one or two. I make myself feel better by saying I only wear them to the office. That I love law and it's a conservative field, therefore I have to wear conservative clothing.

And while that's true, I could have probably found a place that let me do my law thing AND wear the kind of clothes I want.

But I'm too lazy. Too comfortable.

I'm afraid I don't know the Harry Potter series at all. And I love to read. My Mom adores the books, but I can't seem to force myself to sit down and give them a shot.

Maybe my Boggart is actually admitting Mom is right?

CrackerLilo said...

I let my inner housewife out to play, and I'm okay with that, because I know she's only a small part of me. I wear sweater sets, too! And clip coupons! :-)

I have other fears, though. And I know that's the only way to deal with them, is to shout "Ridiculous!" and laugh. Scott Cunningham said, in one of his books, that the way to deal with a curse is to laugh at it, and there's real wisdom in that.

Aisha T. said...

Eeek! That is a worst nightmare for me. Although, the bfriend lives in the burbs so, the nightmare may become a reality. One day. But, NOT THE SWEATER SETS! Great, it's going to be a nightmare filled nite of burbing. Thanks, BP. THANKS A LOT!!

Twisted Lady said...

I have *got* to read those Harry Potter books....

I am still stuck in The Gunslinger series. Just started part 5!

2 Dollar Productions said...

That was a pretty damn good boggart, and it looks a lot like Donald Sutherland from "Animal House" strangely enough.

But don't knock the burbs too much as you might suddenly find yourself itching to buy some matching sweater sets and go dine at the Olive Garden quite frequently.

Strange things can happen . . .

dondon009 said...

Sweater sets..... hmmmmm, I can just see you in a baby blue sweater set, with a baby blue wool skirt (to the knee, of course).

Maybe a matching head band to hold back your lovely hair brushed back and the ends turned up into a flip!

OMG that's MY nightmare, dammit!

Totally Riddikulus!

We must discuss this during our next telephone call.... after you return from California.......

Love ya~

(My word verification) ibahhoe