Pages

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Pobble Songs

The men I have dated have always "given" me songs. This is not uncommon, I realize. My parents' song was Blue Moon. The SGM and I danced to Bryan Adams' Everything I Do at our wedding. For another, it was Crawl by Nil Lara. Still another decided on Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls. (Anyone want to guess why he's an ex?)

What is interesting though isn't that I have had special songs with men. What is interesting is that I have had the exact same special songs with men. Seriously. Even if, as in the above cases, we had songs that were "just ours", every single guy I have ever dated has given me the following five songs:

1. Lady by Styx
2. Ruby Tuesday by The Rolling Stones
3. The Lady in Red by Chris DeBurgh
4. Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton
5. Killer Queen by Queen

Dear God, what a flattering list this is. Truly. Have you listened to any of these songs recently? Of course, at one point during a bad time I was crying to my biosister about them, telling her that every man told me these were my songs, how much it hurt and she came up with a fabulous reponse for me. She has suggested that, when a man tells me these are my songs, I reply "You're right. And I'll take them with me when I go!" Hahahahahahahahaha ~ easily amused.

Seriously, though, I am always deeply moved when these songs become the Pobble for a man I care about. And I have faith one of these days, I won't have to take them with me when I go because, well, I'll meet someone and neither one of us will go anywhere. Until then, I'll keep taking them back. :) Of course, the fact that any one of them could be my theme song is helpful as well if I'm going to be keeping them. None of them are my theme song ~ but they could be.

So what is my personal theme song?

Indiana Jones, baby. Every day of the week.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Jaded said...

I don't have a personal theme song that I can think of. Mr. Jaded has 2 songs for me, which now double for Jadette's songs too - Brown Eyed Girl and You Are My Sunshine. Not too common, eh? Another uncommon song is "our" song, which is 'True Companion' by Marc Cohn.



True Companion

Baby I’ve been searching like everybody else
Can’t say nothing different about myself
Sometimes I’m an angel
And sometimes I’m cruel
And when it comes to love
I’m just another fool
Yes, I’ll climb a mountain
I’m gonna swim the sea
There ain’t no act of God girl
Could keep you safe from me
My arms are reaching out
Out across this canyon
I’m asking you to be my true companion
True companion
True companion

So don’t you dare and try to walk away
I’ve got my heart set on our wedding day
I’ve got this vision of a girl in white
Made my decision that it’s you allright
And when I take your hand
I’ll watch my heart set sail
I’ll take my trembling fingers
And I’ll lift up your veil
Then I’ll take you home
And with wild abandon
Make love to you just like a true companion
You are my true companion
I got a true companion
True companion

When the years have done irreparable harm
I can see us walking slowly arm in arm
Just like the couple on the corner do
‘Cause girl I will always be in love with you
And when I look in your eyes
I’ll still see that spark
Until the shadows fall
Until the room grows dark
Then when I leave this Earth
I’ll be with the angels standin’
I’ll be out there waiting for my true companion
Just for my true companion
True companion
True companion

dondon009 said...

She's back! Alive and well, I hope... I've been pacing the floor for 5 days waiting to hear about the wedding!

Lady in Red..... how I love that song..... would you like to dance?

Years ago.... in another time, another place, when young people held each other and "danced", Purple Rain was my favorite "hold em and don't ever let em go" song.
Unfortunately, I always "let em go".

I'm off to the wedding in the AM... if it were mine, instead of a best man, would you be my "best lady"?

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Well for the record my wedding song was "Natural High" I don't suspect you have ever heard that one but it is pretty and is sung by Merle Haggard.
Jaded
Brown Eyed Girl would have been appropriate, she is. My daughter at 4 could sing B.E.G flawless.
jsull28fl@yahoo

Anonymous said...

Anything is better than having one you really dislike, as I do Frank Sinatra's "I did it my way", which unfortunately seems to fit!

Blue Dog Art said...

I have a variety of songs that have lingered with me from boys that I dated. My husband and I don't really have "our song." I guess the song I assimilate to him is "I Love You" by Sarah McLachlan, which I heard for the first time after my second date with him and it stuck with me.