Pages

Friday, June 29, 2007

Role Modeling

Here in Worcester, one of two things tends to happen when I am out and about. Either people just ignore me or they give me the look. Take yesterday afternoon. It was hot out and I really wanted to stay home in front of the a.c. But Daisy needed her fluid treatment. So I had to go out. Ended up dressed in khaki shorts, a loose fitting black tank and my high heeled clogs. Most people ignored me. Some people gave me the look. And then there was the little girl. This is the response I love the best.

She was maybe 8. Maybe 10. No older. She studied me as I walked by her. Studied me as I stood waiting in line. I watched her eyes flicker to the streak. I watched her eyes get a little larger as she finally saw the tattoo running down my calf. I watched her take me in. And as I turned to leave, I grinned at her and winked.

Her whole face lit up.

Yes, Virginia, there is an option. You don't have to be a soccer mom. You don't have to be angst ridden. You don't have to conform. You don't have to be Muffy...or Lillith. Living here, growing up in a small town...there is an option. There is more. You can be everything and anything you are.

She may grow up to be a Muffy. She may grow up to be a Lillith. She may grow up to be something completely different. But for the briefest moment in her young life, she had a choice. I hope that knowledge stays with her longer than a brief moment, even after she has forgotten where the knowledge came from.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Hermes said...

Children are unaware of differences between people. Skin colour, religion, culture, political leanings... it is their greatest strength and weakness at the same time (because they associate everyone with what they know, so everyone MUST be just like them).
At some stage in their development, they learn to "other". It's different ages for different kids but regardless, at least that one had a positive moment which can be remembered. You never know which moments will have the most profound afect, so try to make them all positive. The girl was lucky.

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to watch her face :)

Don't ask me why, but I had a vision of the movie Mame just now.

(can't you just hear the age spots bursting on my hands? LOL)

You left her with a positive experience.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Good job. You set a great example of showing humanity and ligthing a connection to the young girl. Smiling and connecting is so easy and costs nothing, yet so many in today's socieity are humorless and sterile, especially when encountering someone different.

Hope you continue to enjoy the "beauty" shots.

Michael

D-Man said...

A wickedly delicious post. Uh, can I borrow your clogs...please?