Pages

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sunday Poll Question

Keeping things a little more lighthearted ~ it's confession time, people!

Question: What's the stupidest thing you've ever done to impress someone?

Pobble Answer: Although I've done crazy things to impress people (including walking into the fountain at Knott's Berry Farms amusement park up to my knees in order to make a 12-year old smile) I'm not often stupid. However, it has been known to happen and this was definitely The Stupidest... The summer before my freshman year in high school, the theatre where I worked was doing Wizard of Oz. In order to build the balloon basket that the Wizard flies away in, we had to split bamboo. This was my task. Which would have been fine ~ except Jason was also assigned to help split bamboo. And oh, what a Pobble Crush I had on Jason. It was destined to be unrequited and even I knew it at the time. He was to old to even see me that way~ sixteen. He was one of the cool kids at the high school. I had to be content with being his friend ~ which we were. But oh...in my little prepubescent heart... So, we each take a hammer and a flathead screwdriver and *wham* start splitting bamboo. And I miss. Slamming the hammer into the upper knuckle of my thumb. Jason sees this and asks if I'm okay. Now, not only was there this crush going on but we were in my theatre and damned if I was gonna let it show that I couldn't take it like an adult in my theatre. So I assured him I was fine and swung that hammer again. *wham* I have no idea how many times I *whammed* that knuckle. I know it was a lot. It was so many times that it finally stopped hurting altogether. The next day, I realized I had never seen so many colors in skin before. I didn't even know there could be so many colors in skin. The joint itself was three times its normal size. And I walked around with my hand in my pocket for nearly a month trying to hide it from everyone ~ especially my mom ~ because to let anyone see it was to admit I had done it and kept my mouth shut in order to impress Jason. To this day, when it is humid and cold, there is an ache there. The stupidest thing about it is I kept my mouth shut well enough that he didn't even notice ~ so couldn't be impressed. Ah well. ;)

Your answer...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

4 comments:

Graziella said...

When I'm out with a man I know enjoys beer just as much as I do, I try and match the man beer for beer. When my tolerance is high it's not a problem, but if I haven't been drinking in a bit, I forget that my tolerance is low, drink to much, smoke when I've been drinking because I don't realize how drunk I am, slam my door in a car and cry in one of my best friends apartments while her boyfriend patches up my finger, all the while knowing I have interrupted their romantic evening.

Graziella said...

I mean slam my finger in a car door.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

After my first divorce, I dated a guy that considered himself a hot-shot athlete, and softball coach. I had made a few all-star teams myself, and agreed to sub on his teams now and again.

He and a buddy once took me out to an empty ball field to practice for a game. A practice game of catch turned into some sick test to see what I could handle. Even though I was clearly outpowered, I wouldn't back down, as he hammered the ball at me faster and faster. Every ball I caught seemed to piss him off and make him throw harder.

I finally caught a fast ball in the palm of my glove, essentially breaking every blood vessel in my left hand...while he and his friend fell about themselves laughing their asses off. My left hand was entirely black the next day. I mean, it looked like I'd dipped it in ink.

He continued to brag amd laugh his ass off the next couple of days, pointing out to his friends, and even to his MOTHER what he'd done to me.

I dumped him.

But I caught that fuckin' ball.

christine mtm said...

you've heard this story... but it had something to do with drinking WAY too many shots and worrying that i might pass out in the snow outside a convent one night and freeze to death.