Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Some Reassurance

For the past several years, I have become more and more distressed over the state of my country. I am unabashedly patriotic. It is through and because of the love of my country that I have become more and more concerned. The "with us or against us" mentality that was spawned after 9/11; the "see something, say something" announcements made in public transportation systems throughout the country; the existance and then expansion of the Patriot Act...yeah, I've been growing more and more concerned.

Still, I can sit on Lithus' front step with him and not be stoned for being seen with a man I'm not related to; wear clothing that exposes my skin and hair and not be punished; leave the house without an i.d. card or papers and not be jailed for not having them with me. My non-white friends do not have to fear lynchings. My GLBT friends do not live with a death sentence over their heads every single time they flirt with someone of their own gender. None of us will be beheaded for being who we are.

And I can still write this blog. I can still say that: I think the Patriot Act is leading us to a fascist state that could rival Nazi Germany; I fear for free thought, expression and opinion in a way that no American should fear for those things; I am disgusted that I cannot assure my foreign national partner that we can have political conversation on the phone without worrying about who is listening; that I believe George W. Bush has moved from dangerously stupid to stupidly dangerous; that I fear most of the country is too unaware of the subtlties (sp?) happening around us to see beyond the next election and that simply having a non-Republican in the White House isn't enough to undo the horrible damage that has been done; that I know people who are talking not just resistance but Resistance ~ and they aren't crazy, militaristic survivalist types or left-over 60s radicals but intelligent, ordinary people.

So, I take some reassurance from all this. Not much, mind you, still...some. And I have to hold onto that some.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Graziella said...

I am more and more aware of these things as I spend time in this part of the country. I am perturbed at the state of this country as well.

Jaded said...

I adore you beyond words.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Pobble,

We are of a like mind on this issue. I am very much afraid for the future of this country - see my Saturday post on this point - and I believe we have already started down the road to a fascist state. I hope and pray that the population will wake up and vote the theocrats and fascists out in a landslide in 2008.

Hermes said...

Pobble, Nietzche wrote,"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one." He knew what may happen to people wehn confronted with extreme times.
He also said, "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." He argued that the free individual must speak against the crowd because "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

No matter what, keep speaking. It matters.
Sorry for blogging within the blog.

Rose said...

The country is in a bad state but I will not give up. I have hope that we will all do what the country needs in 2008!

Anonymous said...

Pobble,

I think that the time for subtleties has passed. People no longer seem to be able to notice the small things in life, they have to be hit over the head with a sledge hammer to get their attention anymore.

I had this discussion with my blog buddy Duane recently. Time for people to wake up to the rest of the world around them. Heavens forbid they should ever really find out what others think of them and Bonzo the chimp.

I think Lewis Black put it best when he said, "they must be f**kin' deloooooooooosional!"

Another blogger and I were discussing a similar situation, and people seem to have forgotten what those who went before them had fought to achieve so they would have more freedoms. But, when they are not vigilant, they can be removed in an instant with the movement of a pen upon paper.

Anonymous said...

I know I come late to the party, but...

Find on the web a quote titled "Had Enough" by Lee Iacocca and Catherine Whitney, extracted from the book "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?".

I believe the movement is underway. To make another reference, we are making the Fourth Turning (see the book by Strauss and Howe -- copies of which I gave each of my thirty-ish children).

For what it is worth, I am of the Silent Generation.