Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday Poll Question

This Sunday Poll Question assumes two things. First, it assumes an existence of a higher power. Second, it assumes this higher power is omniscient. Now, knowing my readers, I don't think anyone has a problem making this assumption. However, I wanted to make it clear that I am indeed aware that I am making it. Answering the question does not mean you agree that there is a higher power or make a statement about how that higher power may take form. If you don't believe, answer anyway. Suspension of disbelief is fun, if nothing else.

Question: If you could ask the higher power one question, what would that question be?

Pobble Answer: This is a tough one. "Why?" "Where have you been?" "How?" All those things come to mind. But you know what I think I would really want to know? Who was the third woman? See, my paternal grandfather ~ my Papa ~ only saw three women naked in his entire life. The man was intimidatingly honest, so I believe him. One, was my grandmother. One was a nurse in WWII who streaked by on a dare, hoping to shock the officers, and the Chaplain in particular. And the third one was...no one knows. He was a good enough story teller that at this point, he would weave his words in such a way that he took you away from the story, away from the obvious question. And no one ever came back to it. We just didn't think to. We were too involved with where the story went next. When he died, I asked my father who the third woman was. His response was "You mean he never told you, either? I was hoping you would know!" So. For all the deep, meaningful, life-explaining questions I could ask, I don't think I will. Some things can remain a mystery ~ assuming this is how it all works afterwards. But I really would like to know who that third woman was.


Your answer...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

5 comments:

Graziella said...

I would ask if I could go back in time on a "field trip." I've always been fascinated with the idea of what the world was like before humanity crept in and fucked it all up. What did North America look like with herds of thousands upon thousands of buffalo carousing the countryside? What did rivers and lakes look like before dams? Before people took over the world and changed the face of the planet forever, what was it like? How did it look, how did it smell, what were the natural flows and rhythms of nature?

Hermes said...

This might seem cheeky but it really isn't. "Can you create a rock you can't lift?" If She can, there's something she can't lift. If She can't, there's something She can't create. Either way, there's something God can't do. But I wouldn't ask in order to flush the idea of omnipotence down the toilet as a logical impossibility. Rather, I would ask in the hope of seeing beyond the limitations of human rationality. I expecet I would just get a pat on the head and told to go play.

christine mtm said...

good lord, i have no idea what i would ask.

if the question had been, "if you could meet one person who would it be..?" then i would say my father-in-law, who died before i met my hubby.

i could certainly ask God if i could meet him, but the answer might be... later... and i hope that is the case anyway.

Anonymous said...

I think I would ask what went on in my mom's head. She told me once that I didn't want to know what went on in her head. Yea, I did. Now I really do. Peace.

Jaded said...

I'd ask Him if His favorite color is blue, as I suspect it might be. After all, the sky is blue, the ocean is blue, the world looks blue from space...

Anything more profound leaves me with a huge burden of responsibility, and perhaps an answer I didn't really want to have. I just wanna know if He loves blue as much as He seems to.