Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Pobble and the...

...Break: I needed some time off. Some time away from blogging and reading and thinking. Too many wounds opened at once. Too much good news at the same time. I felt like I was going to implode with everything that was going on inside of me at the same time. So I took a break. And now I'm back.

...Businessmen: On my way home from being the Writer in the Basement, I upgraded to first class ($35 ~ gotta love AirTran!). I'm sitting there in my capri pants, re-reading a Harry Potter, ponytail happily swinging behind me when I get THAT feeling ~ the feeling I'm being watched. So I look up. The two men across the aisle from me are looking at me. So, being a Bold and Brazen Pobble, I look back at them. They look away and begin a whispered conversation. I go back to Hogwarts. As we were getting off the plane, I think I figured it out. There were seven of us in first class. Six of us were white business men in suits and ties, carrying briefcases and looking important. Then there was me. The Boston Pobble. Looking as little like a New England businessman as I can possibly look. Now, maybe that wasn't why they were looking at me. Maybe I had something in my nose or reminded them of someone they once knew or maybe they were just playing the Make-Up-A-Story-About-The-Other-People-'Cause-We're-Bored game. Still, it was interesting to notice. Yes, I'm a sociology nerd.

...Lost Wallet: Same trip and I'm in the back of a cab so I don't have to lug my crap on the T. Stuck in the door handle across from me is a wallet. I reached over to hand it to the cabbie and, for some reason, decided to check it. $310 in cash. Oh shit. Now, $310 could have paid for the trip I had just taken, including food, and given me enough to do my laundry and buy my groceries. While no one would sneeze at being given $310, it's a lot of money for me right now. A LOT. But I couldn't do it. Because if it's a lot for me, it's probably a lot for him, too. And even if it's not, even if it's his play money, it's still his money. Luckily for me, all of Boston is under construction so there are police at every corner, standing there, doing...something, I assume. So I got out of the cab and bopped over to the cop on the corner and turned it in. It was the right decision. And I know that. And I am still wondering if I'm a really good person or just stupid.

...The Big Decision: I am afraid I have to move from Boston. I don't want to move from Boston. I love Boston. I have better friends here than anyone has a right to expect. I have the Agent Extrordinairre (still don't know how to spell that word) here. I have a publishing company here. I have the greatest apartment ever here. I am the Boston Pobble for God's sake. And Boston is now the most expensive city in the country (actual reports say this; I'm not just pulling it out of my ass). I'm thinking about Philadelphia or New Haven. New Haven probably isn't big enough (I'm a city girl through and through) but I haven't ruled it out. What I know is I can live in an equivalent apartment in an equivalent neighborhood in Philly for half (seriously, HALF) of what I pay to live in Boston. So I know I have to decide. And I have to decide BEFORE my money runs out and the decision is made by not making a decision. But I don't have to like it.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

3 comments:

dondon009 said...

Welcome back. You were missed! I had to think twice about what I would have done with the found wallet. Of course I would have turned it in. After all, identification and credit cards are bothersome to replace. Now about the cash.... let see now,
$300.00 would probably buy me a nice lunch in Boston! On the other hand, I've never had the opportunity to find out what I would do with found cash. If I found it in a paper bag, would I just keep walking? OMG now I won't sleep all nite trying to figure out just how honest I really am, dammit.
It's been 15 years since I left Boston. I still miss it terribly!

Jaded said...

If you move to Philly, we'll be friends and visit, I've decided. I live near Atlantic City, which is just under an hour for Philly.

I miss Boston. I only lived there for 2 years, and left in 1990, but I still miss it. I go back to visit periodically because Mr. Jaded is from Massachusetts, and I have family in Newton.

The wallet, you did the right thing. Better to have turned it in than to wonder if you were truly a thief for keeping it. Hard call.

Roberts confirmation hearings... no one is listening, they're all too busy grand-standing. Did you hear that nonsense Ms. Feinstein was spewing the other day? About the Jews having to remove their shoes before being shot by the Nazis? The facts themselves weren't nonsense...they are very real, horrible circumstances that occured. But what has that got to do with confirming someone to the United States Supreme Court? How he didn't laugh at her, I'll never know, because I just howled. They did the same nonsense with Scalia, I think, and then the wanted him to recuse himself from certain cases because he'd indicated how he'd rule in similar cases during his confirmation hearings. Crazy. I think they should just read the nominee's previous rulings and opinions and figure out their position from there. I did like his answer about how he doesn't have a political agenda, that politics don't play a role at all, because he's a judge, not an elected official, and he would weigh each case on its own merits as they come before him.

My knee...sucks. Big. And not in a good way, either.

Welcome back.

Nemeria said...

I'd say come to WP but it's pretty darn expensive here, too. Although Philly is closer than Boston. And hell, if you moved to New Haven, we could take Metro North to see each other! It's only 2 hours and $14.00 away from Grand Central!

I am sad, for you, that you will have to leave Boston because I know how much you love it there. But I'm seriously thrilled for me that you're going to be closer to where I am.