Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2005

September 24th

Today is my 11th wedding anniversary. The Lovely Cats and my bio-sister were maid and matron of honor respectively. The Divine M was a bridesmaid. My father, grandmother, and Pat were still alive. My Heart wasn't yet two. My 13 year-old-soon-to-be-nieces were thrilled to be invited to their first adult party.

How things change. Death and birth. The deployments and promotions that destroyed our marriage weren't even a whisper. The Lovely Cats was almost engaged ~ but not to the Tom Cat. The Divine M had just started fooling around with the Grill Master. One of those nieces has a child of her own now ~ making me not only a great aunt but a great-aunt. My Heart is now 12. My other nieces and nephews weren't even twinkles. My Dear One, with whom I was instant messaging when I noticed the date, was all of 9. My mother and sister are now in the last minute rush before another wedding ~ my mother's youngest stepdaughter. The Sergeant Major is in Iraq and another woman waits for his return in a house I picked out and once called home. I can't help but think I am the only one who notices this day. We were young and in love and the world was ours. How things change.

And yet...

The Lovely Cats' family was there, as they are now. The Duck and her kid were there, as they have always been. Nemeria was stage managing so she couldn't attend, but her warm fuzzies were there, as they are now. Appsrus couldn't make it either, but he was there in thought, as he is now.

And me? I've changed too. Not so young and not at all in love. But stronger. Wiser. Happy again, just in a very different way. And the world is still mine. That hasn't changed.

So, as I sit here, swamped with so many conflicting emotions, I find comfort in that. I am honest enough to admit I miss those young people and what they had before; I am grateful to them and what they had. But more than that, I am grateful for what I have become. Much, much more.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary on what you have become, Dear Pobble. We all remember the day well. And lovely it was.

And even more lovely is yet to become. So happy anniversary, indeed.

much love--
C