Pages

Monday, September 05, 2005

Snapshots v. Reality

Part of what I love about blogging is "meeting" new people. Getting some insight into others lives, thoughts, dreams, ideals. It's a lovely snapshot of anoher person. What is hard sometimes is to remember is that we are not meeting. We are seeing one or two facets of a (probably as most of us are) truly multi-faceted person. It is a snapshot. And it is a snapshot without any nonverbals to help us along. Just because I choose to post on one aspect of a situation, doesn't mean I am oblivious to or cannot see the logic in its opposite. If I write the words with a certain tone, how do you know which tone that is? Perhaps you are reading it with a completely different tone. And of course, how do you know I am reading (both literally and figuratively) you correctly? You don't. And, the point is, neither do I.

I hope that I am so much more than the person presented in this blog and my comments on other blogs. I hope my favorite bloggers are more than their blogs. I hope we all have nuances and subtlties and variations that make us More than anything we can capture on a computer screen. Everything here is honest and real and a very important part of me ~ and it's not all that I am. Dear God, please don't let me be only what I can write here. How horribly dull that would be.

I am liberal, conservative, a Constitutionalist, a woman of faith, a woman of doubt, angry, happy, dissatisfied, satisfied, searching and found. And so much more. And amazingly stable and comfortable in all of these things. We live in such an either or society. I feel like a great big AND. I expect other people to be great big ANDs as well. At least it's never dull.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

3 comments:

Jaded said...

I absolutely appreciate the respect you've shown me on my blog. I think that many of my friends and family members would be shocked to see just how "in your face" I am when writing in my blog. I do it because I am trying to get people to think for themselves for a change. Sometimes the only way to do that is to invoke a strong reaction, thus the tone of a particular post. I think that Americans often become lazy when it comes to politics. They affiliate with one party or the other, and then just vote according to party lines, whether it's the best thing to do or not. They put little effort into really researching each candidate and just rely on their particular party to make the decision for them, which is rather evident when you look at low voter turn out for primaries. I think the government as a whole needs to be reformed, but that will never happen as long as people refuse to put any effort into their votes. So, sometimes I say things in a way that I know will anger some. But I hope that they will then identify the reasons why they are angry, and do something about it. It's rather a "Devil's Advocate" sort of thing.

I was a registered Republican until this year. The NJ race for governor has so disgusted me that I have "formally disaffiliated" myself from either party, and I'm not considered an Indpendent. I rather like the very implication of that word...I am capable of independent thought, and therefore, am perfectly capable of making an educated, well-informed decision when I vote.

So, no, I don't think that "what you see is what you get" when you read my blog. I understand that many will disagree, but I hope they'll also put some real thought into why they had an emotional reaction to what I've said. I welcome all opinions, as long as they're posted with respect. If someone I "know" has posted something I dislike on their blog, I will respond with respect. If I don't think I can, I won't respond at all. It's your blog and your opinion, not a place for me or anyone else to attack. Just my opinion.

Jaded said...

Oops... I meant to say that I'm NOW considered an Independent. I oughtta proof read BEFORE posting. sheesh

christine mtm said...

bp~ i love you!