Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2005

There is at Least One

Well, it's happened. The Religious Right has blamed the gay community for Katrina and the devastation in New Orleans. I am shocked but not surprised. We all should have seen this one coming.

Now, I speak as someone who is no longer Christian but was raised one ("I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v." and of course, there's always "I don't have any problems with them; some of my best friends are Christian." Okay, sorry. It's late and I'm tired.) And I was raised by deeply faithful, deeply committed and uber-liberal Christians. So much so that when I chose a different faith, it was accepted to the point of being a non-issue.

However, I was also raised in Jerry Falwell's hometown. This was fun. We even called ourselves "the other Christians." But here's the thing...

...there is one.

She grew up in Thomas Road Baptist Church. She went to the elementary school and the high school before graduating from Liberty University. She worked for the high school for a while before getting married to a man who works there still. They attend Jerry's church most Sundays. So why am I writing about her now? Because there is one.

We've been friends since early college. And what we've been through. Being raised so differently, we've had all kinds of discussions about faith, belief, politics, women's rights, gay rights, children...You name it, we've talked about it. And we don't often agree. She's a conservative Christian and I'm...well, I'm really, really not.

But the thing about her is her Love. That's the core of the message Jesus speaks to her. Love. She has no real use for tolerance. It's too limp a word, too fickle and uncommitted. You tolerate a head cold or corn pops when you really wanted apple jacks. That's not what you do with people. Christ's word was Love so that's her word too. She doesn't make judgment. She doesn't condescend. She doesn't patronize. And most importantly, for me anyway, she doesn't pray for the rest of us to be "fixed." What's the point, she'll tell you, when we have all been made in God's image so we must be just fine the way we are?

Okay, she and I disagree on George W., when life begins, a woman's place in the home and world, and the existence of Hell. And, throughout all the disagreements, she completely and totally respects my opinions and the choices I make. The "sinner" isn't the person who commits adultery or the thief or the homosexual or the doctor who performs abortions (or the woman who gets one). The "sinner" is the person who abuses children, who ignores poverty, who disrespects the elders of our community. It's called Love.

Now, she loves me, too. With a lower case "l" the way we all love our friends. And, she Loves. She Loves me, you, the people in New Orleans, the soldiers on both sides of the war, the stranger on the street, the drag queen in sequins, the priest, the rabbi, the shaman. She is a role model for other conservative Christians. Hell, she's a role model for all of us.

Luckily for us, she also a role model for her children. Which means she is the one raising the next generation of conservative Christians. These two little beings give me Hope. Hope that maybe, just maybe, there is room for all beliefs, opinions, and interpretations. Hope that maybe we don't all have to think one way before those of us who are labeled "different" or "wrong" or "sinners" can simply be ... Us.

It's not an enormous wish. It's not even a huge reason to Hope. And it is all I can offer at this time when there is so much pain being caused in the name of Jesus Christ. When these rich, straight, white men start shouting, know that there is at least one. And Hope.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

3 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

I have to keep reminding myself of my good Christian friends, too, the ones whose faith motivates them to be better and kinder people. I even played Kanye West, Gretchen Wilson and Big and Rich songs that mentioned God just to remind myself that Christians don't all suck.

And of course, it's wonderful that you and your friend have each other.

Lynchburg?! How did you survive it? My mom has to travel there sometimes; she says Falwell, his congregation, and his "Liberty" University ("What a name for it," she commented) try to dominate it and the rest of the Lynchburg residents just shake their heads and try to ignore him.

Jaded said...

I went to college in Winchester, VA. One year the National Association of Teachers of Singing competitions were held on the campus of Liberty. We had a dress code, and a code of moral conduct and all sorts of other stuff to sign before we were even allowed to participate. I thought it strange.

Christianity is not about pointing the finger of blame and showing how righteous you are. It's about loving one another whether you agree with them or not. Even the Bible tells us that, although the neo-conservatives would have you believe otherwise. They scare the crap outta me, and I'm a Christian!

Anonymous said...

hey everybody...it's me.."the one" the Pobble wrote about.

let's begin with the fact that I am MOST flattered by her comments. i'm not sure i'm really worthy of all that. at any length, most of the readers' comments posted here hold some pieces of real truth.

here in the "Burg" there are the ultra-right wings and there is alot of pressure to be "one of them" etc., but hey, you have to step back, take the good and filter out the offensive while not conforming. my Bible says "judge not or you will be judged"...i don't know about you, but i'm in NO shape to be judged. i'm no saint. just an imperfect person trying to show others how Jesus loves.

alot of times it seems that we call ourselves Christian and act like anything but that. it seems to me that those who get the media's eye and ear use those times to hurt rather than help. please don't judge us all by the few that are loud and up front all the time. they, too, have well-meaning intentions, but they are moving at too fast a pace to see and hear the hurt they leave behind.

again, Pobble, I am quite touched. i am honored to know you, to love you and to call you my Friend.