Pages

Saturday, November 18, 2006

But I'm Really...

Apparently, the package I actually come in doesn't really fit me. See, I'm a little white woman. However, throughout my life, I have been paid the compliment of being informed I'm really not that. According to other people, I'm really:

* a misplaced Puerto Rican;
* a sister who's passing;
* one of the guys;
* a gang member;
* a large black man;
* a drag queen in really good makeup

I claim these as compliments not because there is anything wrong with being a little white woman but because they were meant as compliments. And who am I to turn down a compliment? Seriously.

For me, I'm simply the Pobble. As the Grill Master would say, "I do what I do. I am who I am." Last night, I was sweating on the dance floor in PVC. Tonight, I'll be dining at the chef's table in silk. Yep, once again, it's thigh highs and etiquette. And it's all good.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Spider Girl said...

You sound like you are delightfully multi-faceted. :)

About that painting on my wall you asked about--its a local artist called Brian Scott from the town of Cumberland, BC where we spent our childhoods. A few years back, when he was fairly unknown, Tai's boyfriend bought the artist a six-pack of beer and bargained the price of that painting down to an amazingly good price. Nowadays he's getting known all across North America (Europe too) and the prices have risen accordingly. I am lucky to have one in my kitchen.

Its even more special because he paints scenes from our hometown and the houses in the picture are familiar to us. Two girls are in conversation on one of the house porches shown in the foreground and we've actually sat in the same spot talking. Tai had to have that painting!

I took art lessons with him before he got famous. Heh, back when he couldn't afford a car and you'd see him arrive to class on his little scooter in his rain slicker. He's a nice guy.

Jaded said...

I love when my students tell me they want to have a sleep-over at my house. I remind them that I'm the same age as their parents, to which they roll their eyes as if to say "yeah, right."

I don't do PVC for obvious reasons, however, I did just get a lovely textured silk blouse. I can't wait to wear it!

Aisha T. said...

A large black man...hmmm, that's not the first thing that came to mind. I've been asked if I was a boy or girl before--actually quite a few times. Because they thought I was a 'really good drag queen' or just that I was a 'young man'.

The outfit last nite sounds hot and have a sublime time tonite, Pobble! (You ARE BP to me :-))

ZooooM said...

HI! Been trying to catch up on my reading and stuff.

I've had people tell me that I'm black in the butt, and that I'm more of a guy than a girl. All meant to be compliments too. I am a very white Irish girl. My mother in law tells me I am almost identical (in profile) to her sister who died a long time ago. It doesn't seem to disturb her, so I'm ok with it. Although at times it makes me wonder if my presence bothers her in that way.

I dress so conservatively at work. I'm all jammies, jeans and doc martens at home and on my free time. Yet, people who know me from the office seem to think I cook marvelous huge meals at home for my husband. They apologize for cursing in front of me. HAH! Once they get to know me I'm sure the Martha Stewart will dissapear as an option for description.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Dreamer said...

I miss you and you're awesome and I'll be away and out of touch till Saturday...TCU won their football game tonight and I was there to see it all! It was a Pink-Out game...awesome...anyways, have a good Holiday!

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

Who could ever put you in a catagory...the one and only pobble...