Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2006

HIPAA Laws

The federal confidentiality laws that govern doctors, human services, any organization or entity that deals with personal health information (PHI to those of us in the field) are known as HIPAA. It stands for something. I don't know what. Maybe DonDon or Nancy do. You'll have to ask them.

So instead of telling you why I am not posting until 11:00 pm or why I just worked a 12.25 hour shift, I will tell you about something else entirely.

When I was 17 and in the hospital, I remember wishing someone would just hold out their hand to me. Literally. Just leave it there while I dealt with...whatever...until I got to the point where I wanted to and was willing to take it. When the case managers and clinicians would, if I didn't want to take it immediately, they would withdraw it, leaving me the choice of really having to reach out for them or to sit without contact. Neither of which I did well.

Tonight, I learned that technique actually works. Sometimes, if you just sit with your hand out long enough, someone takes it and holds on. And that it worth a 12.25 hour shift. Any damn day.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

kimber said...

This reminded me of something.

When I was working in the art store, years ago, a man came in from a cold winter's day. He looked destitute. He was ragged and worn and grey; he probably hadn't seen a decent meal in a very long time, and while he was young, he looked extremely old.

He stumbled up to the desk. I expected... I don't know, the regular question from a homeless person in an impersonal city. Money. A cigarette. Heygotanypennies? Instead, he looked at the cashier and said, "Can I have a hug?"

All conversation in the store ceased.

He looked around at us, art students and tourists and wealthy hobbiests, and in a voice that was wrung out and frail, half-pleading, he said, "I just need a hug. I don't care who. No one will hug me anymore."

And a middle-aged woman, without hesitation, set down her shopping and threw her arms around him, and gave him a hug without question. For a brief moment, the years and the hardship vanished from his face, and even if it was from a stranger, he felt accepted and loved.

Since that, I have never underestimated the power of human contact. Thanks for reminding me of that, Pobble. I hope your hand outstretched always finds a friend's hand to hold.

Momo said...

How very touching! Kimber's story too. Glad to know that there are people out there who still really care for others.

(BTW - HIPAA stands for the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act of 1996)

nRT said...

Pobble, what a great reminder that we all need human contact. One of the reasons I love working at a pediatric hospital is because it’s OK to hold a hand and give a hug. Working with adults, they frown upon the handholding and hugs.
Momo is right HIPPA stands for "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act" or Keep your mouth shut when it comes to the patient’s information.
Great story...I'm glad you had the time and willingness to wait for a response.

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

It's said "all we need is Love" but sometimes all we need is a held hand or a hug just to get by, and all in all there is no difference between any of them....

Tai said...

Those are good thoughts Pobble...we need all remember.

Rose said...

Pobble thanks for reminding me about this. Sometimes just a simple touch will do. Wow Kimber what an amazing story.(this brought tears to my eyes)

Anonymous said...

Why don't some people get this method. It is often mistaken for not "taking action and forcing things down people's throats". (paraphrasing one of my relatives way of life) I deal with my patients in a similar but more of a fishing manner. Every now and then I will give the line a little jiggle to let them know I'm still here if they need me. (jiggle, jiggle,jiggle)