Pages

Friday, November 17, 2006

*THAT* Teacher

Who were those teachers for you? You know the ones I mean. The men and women who taught you so much more than their subjects, so much more than they were paid to teach you. I can't tell you who won the best actor Oscar last year or the World Series ten years ago. I can tell you these names:

Molly Gardner. Third grade math. She wouldn't give up on me. Taught me not to give up on myself. To this day, whenever I want to quit something, I remember her. Realizing I made a foolish mistake and cutting my losses? Acceptable. Realizing I'm in over my head and need help? More than acceptable. Quitting? Nope. That I won't do. Because of Miss Gardner.

Anne Spencer. 4th and 5th grade math (and history, I seem to recall). I was attending a special school for gifted kids (this is where I met Nemeria!) and deserved to be there...for anything that dealt with words. Math and science ~ not so much. I received my first ever C in her class. Cried all day. Cried all night. Not even Daddy could make this one better. The next day, she pulled me aside. She was prouder of that C than any of the As and Bs she gave out because she knew how hard I had worked for it. That day I learned that my best, my true best, is always good enough, no matter what anybody else says.

Terry Wilson. Eighth grade science. I was Different in a town that didn't like different, let alone Different. I was smart and lonely and Different. He found little ways to make me feel okay about all of those things, eventhough I was really, really bad in science.

Duane Rutkowski. Mr. R. 10th grade history. At a performing arts high school, academics aren't all that important. Oh, they pretend otherwise but so long as you are getting the show up, that's what is going to matter in the long run. At least that's how it used to be. But I was smart. I cared. So did he. I used to sit with my feet propped up on his desk throughout class. One day, another student tried it and got chastised for it. When he said "But she does it" and pointed to me, Mr. R. replied "That's different." His was the only class I wouldn't blow off to get a show up.

Wally Sherwood. College criminal justice professor. He is the only instructor I ever had that I really, really wanted to impress. I was the only student he had the years I was with him that got As. He taught me I didn't want to be an attorney. He taught me the Constitution is as beautiful a thing as I always suspected it was. He taught me it is more important to be just than to be fair.

But the one who is the reason for this post... That's Betty Witt. 6th and 8th grade English. Retired last year after 35 years teaching. She was a stickler for grammar and punctuation. "Not bad" was high praise. Students would regularly cry in her class because she could be so biting if an assignment wasn't as well written as she believed you could deliver. She didn't make us read Youth Literature but allowed us to read "real" books. 1984. Watership Down. She introduced me to Hesse and Vonnegut. "A lot" is indeed two words, not one. If you pick up a copy of Test Words next time you're in a Borders, read the acknowledgements. She's there. Because she helped instill in me the love of words I carry with me to this day. I have been trying to track her down since the book came out. Yesterday, I came home to a message from her. She had called me when she found out I was looking for her. Tonight, I called her back.

Pobble: Betty, it's Boston Pobble.
Betty: Girl, what have you done?
Pobble: Well, I write books.
Betty: And what took you so long?

And if that isn't the greatest compliment a writer can be paid, I don't know what is.

So I ask again ~ who were your those teachers?

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

9 comments:

Jaded said...

Olga Buttle - drama and choir teacher. She once told me "You're a singer. Get some voice lessons." That's how I learned I could sing. I was 16, and I'd had no idea before that. The greatest compliment she ever payed me was to send her students to me to study voice once I started my own studio. She had a stroke and is no longer in the area, but I get updates and messages from mutal friends from time to time.

Tom Albert - associate dean of the conservatory I attended. He always believed in my talent but more than that, he believed in me as a person. He has always been an inspiration to me. We're still friends.

Hal Herman - acting professor. After the last acting class of my senior year he said, "Jaded, you're not just a singer who acts. You're an actor who sings." Believe me, from him, that was big.

Those are the 3 big ones. It's because of them that I am able to do what I love for a living.

CrackerLilo said...

This is a really sweet and beautiful post. It's wonderful that you had this.

Sadly, I barely remember any of my teachers or instructors. My real education happened in the halls, or in the public library, or with friends and family. My father had a real DIY approach to education, and my brother and I inherited that.

kimber said...

Mrs. Amsden: inspirational art teacher and all-around wonderful person. Wouldn't you agree, Spider & Tai?

nRT said...

You are so fortunate to have such an assortment of mentors. I wish my daughter had an Ann Spencer in her life. She is a perfectionist and get so upset if she get a B. I have told her time and time again she will get a C, and she will be OK because she puts in 110%.
I wish my son had Betty Witt, he loves English and had one great English teacher, but not one like Ms. Witt. My sons wants to be a writer, but, foolishly tried (and succeeded) to explain to him that writing is a great Hobby and he needed a BS or BA in a technical field first then he could follow his dream. He love to read and is a good writer, so I hope he still follows his heart after he gets his degree.
as for me: not one teacher comes to my mind. I went to Catholic school for 1-8 and that says it all.

Nemeria said...

How funny that you should post this today - I was just speaking (arguing) with a colleague about teaching. He thinks I would be a great teacher (WTF? Don't you have to LIKE kids to be a teacher?) and was listing his favorite teachers. I, of course, countered with the teachers that didn't inspire me - who I remember because of some wrong (or perceived) wrong they did to me.

But, in the spirit of your positive post, I will try to remember some of *THOSE* teachers:

Mrs. Floyd - 6th Grade English - she chose me to be in my first "real" play. I didn’t even have to audition!

Carl D. Harris - 10th-12th grade. Choir Director extraordinaire. That he was able to inspire students even though his wife was dying at home only makes him that much more special.

Bill Lambert - never my classroom teacher but my HS theatre director. Always saw more in me than I did.

JPK - Best Religion and Philosophy professor at the college. (And if you don't believe me, just ask him!)

And, finally (although not my teacher) - Teach. For his students, he is *THAT* teacher and it is a joy to see the look on their faces when he shows up somewhere outside of the classroom - Homecoming, book fairs, school plays - they squeal (the girls), act cool (the boys) and are thrilled to see him. (One of the parents told Teach that he had reached rock-star status after witnessing a gaggle of girls running down a hill to greet him!)

Anonymous said...

Herbert Hazelman and Ida Belle Moore. Band Instructor for twelve years, demanding, perfectionist and disciplinarian. Instilled a life long love of music that has led me down many paths. With initilas like IBM, what else but a high school math teacher! As good as one of that company's computers, and brought her students along so that one of them won the state math contest year after year. Laid a basis for a career.

Rose said...

Landall-Boyd (my school counselor)-amazing-a real motivator-

Mr. Daniels-(French teacher) strict-pushed hard but I still can speak French.

Mr. Solomon: (American History) Wow! He was the ultimate teacher. Believed in all his students and pushed us hard. Saw him two years ago. Still remembers me.

Annie Hall(Algebra teacher) hard-didn't play-expected much-had to give it to her.

Terry Turley-Biology teacher-Was a great teacher and motivator-he too pushed hard and wanted us to achieved much-didn't take no for an answer.

Anonymous said...

It didn't even take me 2 seconds to think of the most memorable teacher I've had. Mr. Scherer, 9th grade English. The mythology section he taught was awesome, but I most remember he taught us how to live and cope with life. Everyone thought his methods were dorky and lame but he made you think of everything around you and how to respect people and things. If you slammed your books down because you were mad...he made you get sown on your knees and repeat after him some dramatic apology to the desk and books. If you swore it was, "I apologize class , for I have sullied the air..." . It may seem stupid and lame on the surface but he taught that there were always consequences to your actions and you need to practice self control. Lessons that are nearly unhear of in this world of "it's not MY fault". He is also the one who councelled us to never, no matter how old we got, lose our childlike qualities. Don't be childish, but be childlike and see the fun and wonder in everything around you. I had always believed him but it was never more apparent than when I watched my youngling growing up. Everything new for the first time...that's when I finally grasped his words in their entirety.

Unknown said...

Who is this? :-) Because I had Mr. R for 10th grade (and 11th and 12th grade) history. We used to do food runs every morning to Ike's on the corner. I graduated in 1984.

Scott Warren (Sharff while I was at PAS)
scott@entheos-group.com