Pages

Friday, November 24, 2006

Why I Missed a Couple Posts :):):)

If there was ever any doubt that I am a crazy fool, I have put that to rest. On Wednesday, I did the craziest thing I have ever done in my entire life. With much discussion among the Divine M, Graziella and myself, after much angst, after repeating "living in fear sucks, living in fear sucks, living in fear sucks" (thank you, CrackerLilo!) so often it became a full-fledged mantra, I made the decision to drive not to the basement for Thanksgiving but to...Suffolk, Virginia. Where Lithus is doing a logging tour. Where Lithus was going to be grounded due to weather for three days. Where Lithus was not only spending Thanksgiving but his birthday alone. Where Lithus, my firefighting pilot, who I had not yet actually met, was in for a shock. Here's the story...

Monday, I had the idea and emailed Graziella and the Divine M. They came back with resounding applause and assured me I should indeed make it a surprise. So, I sent Lithus an email asking for the address of his hotel because I had arranged for a package to be delivered to him for his birthday. Then Graziella came over Monday night to help me pack and plan outfits. She donated two bottles of wine to the cause and generally kept me sane as I kept saying "What the hell am I doing? This is crazy."

Tuesday, (after a reassuring phone call from DonDon to tell me he was okay in spite of missing a post and having to tell him what I was doing because I have learned I simply cannot lie to the man, damn him!) I left work and headed straight for the basement. Eight hours later (it's a five hour drive), the Divine M opened the door and generally kept me sane while I said "What the hell am I doing? This is crazy." And I left Lithus a message assuring him I had made it to the basement safely, not to worry.

Wednesday, I sent him off another email saying that the Divine M and I were busy with last minute stuff so I probably wouldn't have a chance to write or call again until later that evening. And I was on the road to VA. When I got to the hotel, I enlisted the front desk staff. He smokes an obscure brand of cigarettes so I had brought two packs with me. Giving them to Kym, I said, "Call Lithus' room. Tell him he has a package." So she grinned and did so. And he didn't come down. And didn't come down. And didn't come down.

Thirty minutes later, another staff member loaned me her cell phone. I proceeded to call the hotel and have her transfer her own cell phone through her system and connect me to his room. "I just got an email confirming the package has been delivered!!! Do you have it yet?" Of course, he didn't but he promised he would go down and get it. At which point, I told him to call me back. And I sat, waiting.

He received his cigarettes with a puzzled expression and stood, looking around, not quite sure what was happening. And I called his name. The front desk staff leaned over to watch us and all but applauded when he wrapped me up. As we stepped onto the elevator, Kym and her cohorts were still watching us, grinning ear to ear and she said "That was some package." To which my dear Lithus responded, "She really is, isn't she?"

And he is wonderful. And he is wise enough to think I am, too. ;) It was a good idea that became an even better reality.

So, my dear friends out there in cyber space, when you read this in some novel at some point, you can grin and remember exactly where the research for those pages came from. And know it's not fiction.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

16 comments:

Jaded said...

One day, I'll have to tell you of the first meeting in person that Mr. Jaded and I had. It was planned, but there are many similarities.

Perhaps you'll get married and live happily ever after too....never know!

Rose said...

I am so happy that it worked out for you. I say live and let live. Looks like I don't need to say hope your Thanksgiving went well. I see that it did.

dondon009 said...

OMG you did it............. and it worked!

Expect a telephone call Sunday!!!!

.... and yes, that was FOUR exclamation points.

I am so very happy for you, my dear.

Anonymous said...

In a recent conversation with Mary Kay Andrews (look her up), our former neighbor, she said that any time one writer tells a story in a group of writers, someone will call "dibs! that story is mine!" and it goes into some future book. She illustrated by saying that a friend (and established mystery writer) had recently told a story at lunch and prefaced it by saying "this one is mine -- no dibs". So for these posts, "no dibs"...

Dagoth said...

Hi Pobble

I'm very happy you overcame your fear...Pobble taking life by the horns!...

nRT said...

Way to go...we only live once. Taking risks are difficult but look at he prize......Congratulations (what a story this is going to be).

nRT said...

Sorry: it should of read "the prize" not "he prize" but both might be appropriate.

Nemeria said...

You, milady, are an Audacious Woman. I have so much to learn! :-)

christine mtm said...

i am so happy for you....

love you!

CrackerLilo said...

EXCELLENT!!!! I need to live by that little mantra as completely as you did this weekend!!!

And I'm glad you were smart and safe as well as fearless. What a brilliant combination that is. *hug*

Tai said...

That's BRILLIANT!!!

'Cus 'living in fear sucks!'

kimber said...

Fabulous! Three cheers to adventurous living!

Momo said...

GRRrreat story! I admire your spunk and spontaneity! We have to take risks to get great rewards!

And it sounds like you took precautions for your safety - so you were very smart and spunky and spontaneous!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

This IS great; and here I've been asking all of my gfs for advice if I should drop my phone number into an email to a party I'm interested in.

I suck. You rock!

2 Dollar Productions said...

Great job. If I saw this in a movie I'm not sure I would have bought it - but now I just might.

ZooooM said...

AWWWW YIPPEEEE! That's the best story! I admired your abilities to live before, now I'm just in awe. Amazing and wonderful!