Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

End of an Era

Jerry Falwell is dead.

This in and of itself has no impact on my life. However, I grew up in his home town. I know what a presence he was there. I know how much the community and the economy of Lynchburg was tied into him. It's not as if the whole Jerry Falwell system has up and moved. It's all still there in the 'burg. Still, I wonder what this will change in my "home town."

His beliefs were repugnant to me. His interpretation of the scriptures offended and infuriated me. And I must give the man his due. There was never even a hint of the scandals that have rocked other fundamentalist Christian ministers and ministries. As misguided as I believe his faith was, he nonetheless lived by it and lived as a man of faith.

As the Lovely Cats put it "I have no doubt he is in the arms of the Lord ~ I just think he's really shocked by who's embracing him right now." Yep. That's about it.

I met him twice. Both times were at the theatre where I was doing shows. Both times, I finished the conversation I was having just as I turned to acknowledge who was calling my name, therefore finishing the conversation to that person's face. Both times, I had just been given bad news. Both times I turned and said "SHIT! Yes?" ~ directly into the eyes of Jerry Falwell. At least my friend doing the introductions found it as funny as I did.

My thoughts are with the families of his church in their grief who have just lost their pastor. My thoughts are with his friends and family in their grief ~ including The One in VA, from whom I still have not heard since she discovered my faith. And my thoughts are with the people he oppressed in their feelings, whatever they may be, in hopes that they will be able to live slightly freer, safer lives without his vituperation.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

6 comments:

Jaded said...

I don't find joy in anyone's death, no matter how evil I might perceive him/her to be. However, I certainly don't mourn every death, either. This is one I won't mourn.

dondon009 said...

jerry falwell exercised his right to free speech when he said:

"The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks were prompted by God's wrath toward pagans, abortionists, feminists, homosexuals and the American Civil Liberties Union." "All of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen,'" he said, during an interview with Virginia Beach religious broadcaster Pat Robertson on The 700 Club.

I exercise that same right to free speech when I say that "I rejoice in his death"!

nRT said...

Every one is entitled to 'freedom of speech' but when they shove their twisted beliefs down your throat I take offense.
I am thinking: one down a few more to go.
He was not a nice person

2 Dollar Productions said...

I think your thoughts are in line with mine when I heard the news, and that's very interesting about growing up in his town as I didn't realize the powerful grip (spiritual, economic, etc.) he wielded.

Nemeria said...

I may still have a pin the reads "The Moral Majority is Neither" that my father gave me. I remember the battles my neighborhood had with his growing church and I recall how trying to drive down my street on a Sunday was virtually impossible. We always joked that the congregants ignored the stop sign because Jerry protected them. I too wonder how it will affect our hometown economically. Maybe the City Council won't be so afraid anymore. I do feel for his family, as they are dealing with the loss of a loved one. But, for me, I don't mourn his passing, I almost feel a a sense of relief.

CrackerLilo said...

I was wondering about your thoughts on this, since I know you grew up in Lynchburg. I hope the town can stay strong, too. He did so much for (to?) it.

That's hilarious, that you began your conversation with him that way *twice*! :-) Knew you'd have a good story.

Love ya!!!