Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pure Escapism, Just Because

I have been a fan of Stephen King's since before I was really old enough to be reading him. Over the years, I have found his work to be more mundane, more pedestrian. Oh, I'll grant you that the man can weave a tale but, my tastes matured, I became more sophisticated. I started reading historical fiction, non-fiction and literature, even as I wrote trashy romance.

The other day, though, I found my old copy of Christine and thought "what the hell." My friends, back in the day, the man could write a book. Yes, I still grant you he can weave a tale ~ but it's not just me that is changing. It wasn't just my young age that made my heart race at his writings. The man made a car ~ a car ~ both believable and scary as hell. I'm now in the process of re-reading The Shining. Will probably hit The Dead Zone after that. And only with the lights on. During the day. Because damn, the man was good.




I'm not a fan of "chick flicks." Never really have been. And yet Notting Hill makes me romantic and mushy. There is something about the story and yes, even something about the performances of the two main actors (neither bad actors but not Lauren Bacall or Humphrey Bogart, either) that just make me happy. If you, your partner or your relationship ever need a romance boost, may I recommend this one. It's sappy, sweet and wonderful. With the required happy ending, of course.



I love board games. An evening with friends, a couple fun games, munchies and a few drinks is a really, really good night for me. But my All Time Favorite has to be Clue. It intrigued me as a child and can still grab my imagination like no other game. Even while I'm playing it, I'm thinking of the story that goes with the game. I know ~ I'm a goob. :)






There's something really magical about carnivals. Amusement parks are fun, don't get me wrong. I can spend time at the Disney or Universal parks and have a blast. But a carnival...The ones that get set up in parking lots or old fields, stay for a week or two and then move on...Those are magical. The smells, the sounds, the lights and colors. Especially after dark when everything seems just a little bit more somehow. Even the fact that you might be maimed or killed riding one of those things because God alone knows when the last time they were inspected was ~ well, it's just all good. I have even been known to pay the entrance fee and then not ride a ride, play a game or buy a single french fry. Sometimes, just wandering around, soaking it all in, listening and watching is worth the price of admission. And if you're lucky enough to be doing it all with a group of really good friends or holding hands with your sweetie, that just makes it all the more magical.

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

Rose said...

I don't read Stephen. I am not into scary movies or books. I read one book, with the clown and had nightmares, it was a book club selection. That book was almost 1,000 pages. But I love Notting Hill. I am a romantic and I love to see Julia in those type of movies. Come check out my blog and join this online book club.

Anonymous said...

Board games -- a lifelong interest, and if recall serves, Clue was played back in the 'burg. Great post. and Thanks.

2 Dollar Productions said...

1) The Shining & Dead Zone are very good & certainly worth (re) reading.

2) I loved Clue the movie.

3) I've been to them before, but those come and go Carnivals that blow through town and then leave worry me quite a bit. I see an attitude of "I don't care if the flying thing comes off and shakes the people to the ground because we could always head for a new town tomorrow."

SenorGeek said...

I was a fanatical King fan until "Misery" ... then I felt he headed downhill and tried go too much "Anne Rice" with his descriptives and ended up too dry for me ... I still pick up the occasional King but the last story he caught me with was "The Langoliers" which was ruined eventually by the movie.

Board games ... we have a Risk tourny every couple of months at the office ... and my boss still seems to win every time ... just picked up Trivial Pursuit 90's edition, anyone want to play?

Your thoughts make me wish for a less cluttered schedule :)

Spider Girl said...

Another Stephen King fan here, especially for his earlier books like The Stand and It.

I remember the book Christine...I read it over a few nights--it was on a shelf at the house where I was baby-sitting. I was twelve.

And I had to walk home late those nights past a whole bunch of suddenly scary-looking carports. I just loved scaring myself to death.

Krystal said...

Christine was the first scary book I ever read. Carry was the second.

My sister always beat me at Clue, but now I beat my children.

Carnivals are fun during the day. More fun at night...if you aren't hauling five children with you.

Hermes said...

I agree about King. I always liked the Stand and the Gunslinger. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came and the man in black followed". But even as he's begun to appeal to the lowest common denominator, I can't find it in my heart to hold him to account. He did write some cool stuff.