Pages

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sunday Poll Question

The Republican candidates for President had a debate this last week. The pundits' and spin doctors' responses afterwards were interesting. (Mitt Romney's people said something along the lines of he looked the most presidential...o-kay... but I digress...) My mother has recently heard an interview with Fred Thompson who is considering a run. I have been keeping an eye on John Edwards from the Democratic party. All of this got me thinking and has led to the Poll Question...

Question: If you could ask each nominee for his or her stance on one thing and get a truly honest answer, what would you ask? Here's the catch though ~ you must cast your vote based on that one answer. No other issues could be taken into consideration.

Pobble Answer: I think I would ask about the stance on abortion. A candidate's feelings about this issue tend to be indicative of so many other issues. My experience has been that foreign policy, the environment, same sex marriage, education, assistance to the working poor, affirmative action, all those other issues that are important to me are either too long term for one President in our very short-sighted nation to affect greatly or else too variable to get a single answer that can cover every scenario. So it's not so much that the legality and availablity of abortion is that important to me (although it is) as it is that I tend to be able to extrapolate more information about other issues based on feelings around this issue.

Your answer...

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

10 comments:

nRT said...

Hi Pobble, thanks for checking in. All is well and I start work FT this week.
I am 100% behind you on your question. We need to have the right to chose and not get a half answer.

My question would be "On what date will we start to pull out of Iraq and let them fight their own civil war."
I am all for helping but this war has me going crazy. Its all about the $$$.

dondon009 said...

Well honey, after all the posting I've been doing about the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act and how the white house is encouraging bush to veto it, that would be my only question.

Would you or would you not pass the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act?

nRT said...

I'm with dondon009 also...would you stop hate crimes 'Matthew Shepard Hate Crime Act of 2007' sounds to good to be true. I am hoping.

christine mtm said...

i think i agree with the abortion question. ultimately it answers other questions for me as well. and honestly, i have voted for candidates based solely upon this issue before.

Jaded said...

I think my question would have to be along the lines of... Bottom line, why will electing you make us, as individuals, families and a nation, better off tomorrow than we are today?

I can't trust someone who doesn't want to take care of his own people first.

Graziella said...

Well, for the sake of being different, I would ask what their stance on the greyhound racing industry. I feel that one's ability to have compassion for the wellbeing of animals is a good character indicator. I feel that I would be able to make a rather well informed decision based on that.

Anonymous said...

On the abortion question, my fear is that has already been taken beyond the hands of the voters in the next Presidential election by the W appointments to the bench.... See the latest decision from The Supremes. Sigh. Back to an earlier Pobble Post, a good question would be: "What is your view of the First Amendment and what will your government do to honor it?"

2 Dollar Productions said...

What are your thoughts on our national budget and where would you add/cut?

I think this answer would touch on virtually major & minor issues in one way or another.

Anonymous said...

How about "Who is your major campaign contributor?" I'm thinking we could tell alot with that answer because who are they going to be most beholden to?

Anonymous said...

this may sound like an unthoughtout question but trust me this weighs heavy on my mind as of late. I would want to know what stance he/she would take on a medical profession that is allowed to work 14 hour days with no break (no lunch, no dinner, no breakfast, no potty, no smoke, zippo, zilch, zero breaks) and there is no limit to how many of these 14 hour shifts the professional was allowed to do in a week. At this point in my life...this is what really matters to me.