Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Poll Question

This last week, several homes were evacuated in California due to fires. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be. But it got me thinking and created the Sunday Poll Question.

Question: If you had to leave your home, what 5 personal items would you take? This assumes all necessities ~ legal documents, anything at home required for your work, basic clothing, medications, and all living creatures and their necessities ~ are evacuated safely. These five items are the purely personal ones.

Pobble Answer:

1. Bear. My stuffed bear. He's been with me since I was three. He's even in my will. I have told men they could leave my bed because they didn't want me to sleep with him any longer. Yeah, right.

2. Specific pictures. I have a photo of my paternal grandfather, Papa, that was taken during WWII. It has had a place of honor in my home since I was a teenager. Three pictures of my father and me, taken on the Fourth of July one year as we watched the annual turn-around of the Constitution. And one of my maternal grandparents ~ PT herself and my Daddy Ralph. They are young, laughing and so obviously in love.

3. L. Bo Peb and Lame. This is a drawing my heart did when he was in kindergarten. It is of Little Bo Peep and one of her lambs. Only he didn't have room (as he explained it) to write her full name. And couldn't spell, being only 4 or 5. Thus, L. Bo Peb and Lame. It still hangs on my 'fridge.

4. My cribbage board. Papa carried it through the war. Taught Daddy to play cribbage on it. Daddy taught me. There's more to this story but that's for a different post. For now, suffice it to say it, too, is in my will.

5. Hamlet. This was almost my measuring spoons except that I know the name of the artist who makes the spoons so they can be replaced. I have no idea who carved my Hamlet statuette. I bought him in England years ago. He is one of the first things unpacked in every house and is always put where I can see him on a daily basis.

Note: The first three were easy. The last two, very difficult to choose from all the things I love and hold dear. Let me know if you find it the same. And let's pray none of us ever have to actually face this choice!

Those are Pobble Thoughts. That and a buck fifty will get you coffee.

7 comments:

dondon009 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dondon009 said...

Sorry, I deleted the previous post because of mis-spelled words....let's try again, shall we?

Living in Florida and with hurricane season fast approaching, I've asked myself the same question every year since 1989.

The first items I would take would have to be my rings because I inherited the stones from a woman who called herself my surrogate mother after I moved to Florida. I loved her dearly and still miss her terribly.

The second item would be my antique sterling silver stamp box, also inherited.

The third item would be my favorite fun antique piece, a small bisque cupie doll purchased at auction 30 years ago in Boston.

All of the above can fit in one pocket.

The fourth item (s) would be three vodoo dolls. (no, I don't practice)... they were created as art works by my friend Rick who died of complication from AIDS in New Orleans this year. The heads are RAKU pottery, created by my best friend Paul, a New York pottery artist who at the time was his partner.

The fifth item would be a framed photo collage of Daisy created by Paul and framed by Rick.

I can survive without any of the above. It's all sentimental......

I love you~

nRT said...

Pictures, pictures and more pictures.
4. my antique letter box with all of my kids little memories (I have a small container with all of their baby teeth, the kids think I'm nuts but is something I treasure)
5.Letters and cards from my mom
This was tough and I cheated

christine mtm said...

hmm, do i have unlimted space to transport these items to safety?

1. my bunny who has a relationship with me not unlike the pobble and her bear

2. the nativity set my mother-in-law has been collecting for me. (i think i shed a tear the first christmas i started to receive the pieces.)

3. my great-grandmother's china. she bought it during the depression and the pattern is now lost because it was made in a factory in japan that was bombed during the 2nd world war.

4. at least one of the paintings my paternal grandmother painted, if not all of them. they have hung in my parents' home and they have hung in each one of my homes.

5. i suppose every photo/photo album i can grab.

BostonPobble said...

Sorry, Lovely Cats, not unlimited room. It's an evacuation. I am glad, however, you remembered bunny.

Aisha T. said...

xHmmmm...interesting. Since I'm half living at D's house and my apartment I can't forget the two cats (I shall count them as one since they are mother and son). Picture album, Indian jewelry box(my grandfather, who is dead, gave me a necklace when I was born and my mother's that she wore for her wedding), my out of print copies of Ox Goes North and Papa Married a Mormon (I guess that counts as two)and...hmmmm...my box that D carved for me.

Graziella said...

1. I'd take my lap top, it has my journal and pictures saved in it

2. My digital camera, it's the next valuable thing I posses.

3. My little horse jewelry box and it's contents. It holds a sea stone I've had since I was a kid and feel that it has good energy. It also holds my locket that my parents gave to me. They gave me and my sisters lockets the same day and I always feel connected to my sisters especially when I wear my locket.

4. My Marmot tent.
5. My winter sleeping bag